Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-06, 08:37 PM   #1
Julian06

Default blank screen with nvidia driver

Hi all,

I kinda new to linux so forgive me if i get easily confused, but i hope someone can help, i've been at this for a while and i've made a bit of progress. I have 2 geforce 6600GT's in sli mode on Fedora Core 5 x86_64 kernel: 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 and ive installed the driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8756-pkg2.run) but if in the xorg.conf file it is set to use the nvidia driver i just get a blank screen as if the monitor is off, but if i use vesa drivers it works. It makes no sense to me, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Julian
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.ZIP (25.7 KB, 117 views)
Julian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 08:53 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: blank screen with nvidia driver

Only one 6600GT is being detected by the nvidia driver.

The X log shows that you have a CRT and DFP connected to the videocard, however you didn't state which display device you were trying to use. If you wish to use the DFP, you need to add the UseDisplayDevice option to your X configuration (see the README for more information on its use).

As for the CRT, this could be the problem:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1

X is running 1024x768 on that CRT, however if for some reason that isn't a mode the CRT can handle, nothing would be displayed.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 06:13 AM   #3
Julian06

hi,

it's working, the CRT screen is a projector which was off, i didnt think it would use that so i just put in the UseDisplayDevice option and it works great, brilliant thanks!

Just one question if the nvidia driver is only detecting one card, is that actually running as sli, is there a way to tell? If not any ideas how to set it up right?

Thanks
Julian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:11 AM   #4
unclespam

Hello,

I have some useful information on installing the 8756 driver with a Dell Precision M60, running FC5.

The driver works fine using the 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 kernel with the laptop running its own LCD display.

To get the display to work while docked to the port replicator (in my case using an HP L2335 23" LCD display), you have to add the line:

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1" in the configuration file.

For some reason, the display is defaulting to the built-in display, regardless of the scenario, causing the external display to go blank once X starts.

This is only an issue when using the nvidia driver and not the vesa driver.

I did use the nvidia-bug-report.log to figure this out (which was my suspicion from the start).

So, problem solved for me, but this is really a patch job.

I can post my nvidia-bug-report.log if anyone needs it.

Regards,

unclespam
unclespam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 10:40 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Julian06,
You need to request SLI explicitly in your X configuration, if you wish to use SLI. Your bug report didn't include any references to SLI. Please see the driver README for more information:
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-d.html

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 02:07 PM   #6
curia007

I finally resolved my issues using the new Nvidia drivers. I would get a blank screen and yet I could type and hear the sound. I have to make the following modifications within xorg.conf:

Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
Option "UseEDID" "false"
Option "ExtactModeTimingsDVI" "true"

My System configuration:
D900K (AMD64 X2) notebook
Nvidia 7800 GO GTX
Resolution: 1900x1200

I was getting the errors in Xorg.0.log related to the fact that it could not recognize by DFP-0 and its modes. It would try to figure out the mode and it did not like any of them
curia007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 12:57 PM   #7
unclespam

curia007

Interesting to note that your symptoms were exactly the same as mine, with my Dell M60 laptop. I also had full functionality once the X server started (complete with sound and mouse/keyboard functionality), except that my EXTERNAL monitor was not activated.

Are you running the built-in laptop LCD or are you going external?

Regards,

unclespam
unclespam is offline   Reply With Quote