Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-13-06, 05:44 AM   #1
duraid

Default EDID and GeForce 7600 firmware bugs

Hi everyone,

I recently "upgraded" from a 6800Ultra (AGP) to a 7600GT (PCIe). Had to move from driver 8178 to 8756 to support the 7600. Now my high-res (3840x2400) LCD doesn't work. To make things worse is, when I power on the system, I get a blank screen. If I plug in a 1024x768 DVI-D, start the X server and then swap the cables, I can get a 1024x768 image on the LCD I want to be using, it's just low-res. Other than that, nothing.

Not sure what I can do, since both the driver and the card seem to have issues. Does anyone know if there's an updated GF7600GT BIOS, or if a future Linux driver might fix the issue, or if a PCI-express GeForce 6800 will work (since an AGP one did?)

Important: I tried "UseEDID"="FALSE", ExactModeTimingsDVI, and the exact modeline I was using with the 8178 driver. The driver *looks* like it's working (I can ssh in and see) but the monitor acts as though it doesn't have a signal.

Help!
duraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 02:16 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: EDID and GeForce 7600 firmware bugs

If you're not getting anything displayed when you power on the system (before the OS has even booted), then you should probably report this problem to whichever company manufactured the GeForce 7600 that you're using. Only they can provide a VBIOS update (which sounds like what is needed to fix this problem) which won't violate your warranty.

What kind of display are you using?

As for X not working, please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 6

and then generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-06, 06:52 PM   #3
duraid

Default Re: EDID and GeForce 7600 firmware bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you're not getting anything displayed when you power on the system (before the OS has even booted), then you should probably report this problem to whichever company manufactured the GeForce 7600 that you're using. Only they can provide a VBIOS update (which sounds like what is needed to fix this problem) which won't violate your warranty.
I think the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim. What if I *do* want to violate my warranty?

Quote:
What kind of display are you using?
An IBM T221-DG4. This is a 3840x2400 panel, like the Viewsonic VP2290b and Iiyama AQU5611DBK. The model I have requires two, single-link DVI input signals, of 1920x2400@25Hz each, so I just use twinview. That used to work, with a previous nvidia-linux driver and video card.

Can you recommend a PCI-Express card that works in Linux and *does* support this monitor? I know the Quadro4 980XGL (AGP) does, and I could get an AGP GeForce 6800 Ultra to work (with the 8178 driver), but only when X starts (i.e. blank screen until then.)

Quote:
As for X not working, please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 6

and then generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.
OK, will do.
duraid is offline   Reply With Quote