Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-06, 03:18 PM   #1
zonniboy

Default Generic TwinView setting for xorg.conf? ...Possibly.

Hello everyone. After endless hours of tweaking xorg.conf one setting at a time for weeks now to get TwinView working right I made it. And, at the same time, I seem to have found a generic setting that would probably work in many distros of linux and as well as many different NVidia cards. Below are two copies of my xorg.conf file, one full of comments from what I've learned so far and the other one without the comments. I hope you find this helpfull if you are having trouble setting TwinView, either to TV-Out or just another monitor. Post or e-mail me (zonniboy@hotmail.com) if you have questions or if the settings I explained worked for your distro.

So far, the setting works on Mandriva 2006, with NVidia GeForce 420MX card, using the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1 driver which is not the latest one mind you.

Post if it works for your distro and videocard, along with a copy of your xorg.conf if you want to try this out.

----------------------xorg.conf with comments------------------------------

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Dec 14 16:39:22 PST 2005
# File generated by XFdrake.
# ************************************************** ********************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.

#:::::::::::::::::::::Sections can be rearranged in the desired order as long as they start and end with the lines Section "[Name]" and EndSection respectively. I rearranged the sections in this file in the following order, Section "Files", Section "Module", Serction "ServerFlags", Section "InputDevice", Section "InputDevice", Section "Device", Section "Monitor", Section "Screen", Section "ServerLayout" for my better understanding but it is not necessary. To activate TwinView you must have the NVIDIA driver for Linux installed and, from my knowledge, only need to modify sections "Device", "Screen", and maybe "ServerLayout" after NVIDIA driver installation. A xorg.conf file should have been generated or edited properly automatically by the NVIDIA driver install). This xorg file can be found under /etc/X11.:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

# Nothing done in this section
Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

# allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
Option "allowmouseopenfail"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

# ::::::::::::::::In this Device section you should make sure that "nvidia" is chosen for the Driver setting. This tells xorg to use the actual NVIDIA driver that you should have installed by now. The comments inside this section reffer to the line above such comment.:::::::::::::::::

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corp."
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"
# Choose the "nvidia" for the NVIDIA driver.

Option "TwinView"
# This line tells xorg that TwinView will be used and so this line is mandatory for TwinView use. No "true", "yes" or "on" value is needed from what I know.

Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
# This line is optional. If it is not used "RightOf" will be the default value according to NVIDIA readme file. I always put it just in case. It tells xorg that if TwinView is to be used, the second screen will be to the right of the first screen. S-Video and Composite outputs are are usually regarded as second screens by default. If using other outputs like dual VGA or dual DVI, the connections must be specified in the Option "ConnectedMonitor" line further down.

Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1024x768" "1024x768,800x600"
# I'm not too sure about this line. All I know is it is required and should include the screen resolutions your primary monitor and secondary monitor will use, in that order. Example line: Option "MetaModes" "FirstMonitorResolution,SecondMonitorResolutio n". Put in as many resolution combinations as you want.

Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
# Horizontal Syncronization for your second monitor. This line is mandatory also. In this file it is set up to for a common TV. Change accordingly for your monitor or LCD if are using those instead of a TV.

Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
# Same deal as above but for Vertical Refresh. This line is also mandatory. For DVI or VGA monitors there is ussually a range like so "#-#". Look for a similar in the "Monitor" section of your xorg.conf to see what range your main monitor is using. It's a good bet to use that range for your second monitor/lcd if they are about the same age, but it's not a safe bet. For a TV just put "60"

Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
# Use this line only if your second monitor will be a TV. Choose the right standard for your region; NTSC for Japan, US, UK, etc; PAL for Europe and such. Don't just put "NTSC" or "PAL" without prefixes unless you are really sure that no prefixes go with it in your region. Please do a net search for TV Standards if you are not completely sure or your TV standard. If the right value is not used, the default "NTSC" will be used which will not work for PAL TVs and may not work for your NTSC TV if it needs a prefix, like mine is NTSC-M.

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,TV"
# This line is optional and not used much however, if you know there is nothing wrong with your xorg.conf file and still things are not working right you should try to put this line in, othewise dont's use it. This line will override any automatic dectection from your card. VGA connections are considered "CRT" reguardless if there is acutally a flat panel connected through VGA. S-Vidoe or Compsite going out to TV are considered "TV". DVI connections are considered "DFP". Options for this settings are "CRT,TV" (VGA connection primary, S-Video or Composite to TV connection secondary), "CRT,CRT" (two VGA connections), "DVI,TV", "DVI,DVI", "DVI,CRT", etc.

Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
# Use this line only if your second monitor will be a TV. There are only two options for this setting "SVIDEO" or "COMPOSITE", simple as that. Just like "ConnectedMonitor" above, this line is optional provided your card can detect this stuff automatically. But I suggest putting it in and comment it out in case you ever need it.

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Dell"
ModelName "Dell 2000FP (Digital)"
HorizSync 31.5-80.0
VertRefresh 56.0-76.0
ModeLine "768x576" 50.0 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630
ModeLine "768x576" 63.1 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

# ::::::::::::::::In this Screen section we are very concerned with the "Display" Subsections. The other settings are probably ok but the "Display" subsections MUST be in the format they are bellow for NVIDIA cards. The comments inside this section reffer to the line above.:::::::::::::::::

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
# This line starts a Display subsection.

Depth 24
# Choose which color depth you'd like, 8, 16, 24

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
# This mode setting is usually the problem. This line must be in the exact same format as in here for it to work from what I've found out. It was actually my only problem after all. The modes included must cover the two resolutions for both of your output connections. In my case my PC monitor works at "1280x1024" and my TV at "1024x768" so I included only those. But if you are not sure which resolutions your screens will be working at then inlcude as many resolutions as possible so you can't miss it.

EndSubsection
# End the subsection. You could copy the above subsection exactly as it is to make yet another subsection with different color depth if desired. Just make sure you follow the open/close lines for the subsections and put the same the Modes. Just like below.

SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1027" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

# ::::::In this SeverLayout section we are only concerned with the Screen setting. Sometimes it's just plain simple like in here, other times it has a bunch of options. I always leave it as it is, but if I see everything in is correct and xorg still not getting things right, I clean up this line and make at as simple as possible, like below.::::::::::::

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"

Screen "screen1"
# Might need to take off the extra screen settings in this like to make it as simple as poissble, like above. Only do this as a last resort or if you know what you are doing.

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

# :::::::::::::::::::::I believe this is the generic way of enabling TwinView, with no special settings. So, hopefully, it can work on all those Linux OSs out there as long as NVIDIA driver is installed correctly and you are using XFree86 for your graphics I think (still a Linux newb). If this information helped you solve your problem, or you have any questions, write me at zonniboy@hotmail.com. I need feedback to make sure this does in fact work on other interfaces like Suse, Fedora, and whatnot. I set up this xorg.conf file succesfully in Mandriva 2006, with a NVIDA GeForce4 MX420 video card, and with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1 driver downloaded from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html (please read driver page before installing, Xserver needs to be shutdown before installation).:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

-------------------------xorg.conf without comment (the one I'm acutally using)-------------------

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Dec 14 16:39:22 PST 2005

# File generated by XFdrake.
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.

Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

# allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
Option "allowmouseopenfail"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corp."
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "TwinView"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1024x768"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
# Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,TV"
# Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Dell"
ModelName "Dell 2000FP (Digital)"
HorizSync 31.5-80.0
VertRefresh 56.0-76.0
ModeLine "768x576" 50.0 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630
ModeLine "768x576" 63.1 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
Screen "screen1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Last edited by zonniboy; 03-16-06 at 03:42 PM.
zonniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 02:37 AM   #2
chmac

Default Re: Generic TwinView setting for xorg.conf? ...Possibly.

Quote:
# Horizontal Syncronization for your second monitor. This line is mandatory also. In this file it is set up to for a common TV. Change accordingly for your monitor or LCD if are using those instead of a TV.

# Same deal as above but for Vertical Refresh. This line is also mandatory. For DVI or VGA monitors there is ussually a range like so "#-#". Look for a similar in the "Monitor" section of your xorg.conf to see what range your main monitor is using. It's a good bet to use that range for your second monitor/lcd if they are about the same age, but it's not a safe bet. For a TV just put "60"
These two options are not required under my settings, although the readme states that one of these two options is required:
Code:
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync"   "<hsync range(s)>"
    Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "<vrefresh range(s)>"
or:
Code:
    Option "HorizSync"                "<hsync range(s)>"
    Option "VertRefresh"              "<vrefresh range(s)>"
I have TwinView running on a GeForce2 420 with only the following options:
Option "TwinView"
Option "Metamodes" "1280x1024,1024x768; 1024x768,1024x768"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"

The last one is purely because my monitors were arranged in the wrong order, but it is optional. I also had to set the video driver to be "nvidia" to ensure it uses the correct video driver.

My tuppence worth...

Callum.
chmac is offline   Reply With Quote