Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-06, 05:51 PM   #1
joffe

Default Xgl + gmplayer and gl2 video driver

Ok, maybe not an nvidia related issue, though as far as I know only nvidia card owners are affected by it. I posted about this on the compiz forums but no one knew what were causing the problems. I've seen on this forum that there's at least one nvidia developer who likes eye candy so I thought I'd give it a shot and repost here.

With Xgl, compiz and latest nvidia drivers, I am experiencing strange artefacts when using the gl2 video driver in gmplayer (or mplayer). As soon as I start playing in windowed mode, the video window gets white. If I click <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Mouse1> like going into cube rotating mode, the video appears in its window and is smooth. Cpu utilization is 23 (Xgl) + 17 (Mplayer) in both desktop and cube mode. The xv and gl drivers work fine. Does anyone have any clue what is causing this? Here's what it looks like:

Last edited by joffe; 04-19-06 at 06:10 PM.
joffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 08:00 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Xgl + gmplayer and gl2 video driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffe
I've seen on this forum that there's at least one nvidia developer who likes eye candy so I thought I'd give it a shot and repost here.
I've never managed to get Xgl to work right on my computer, so I can't help you there, sorry.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 04:19 AM   #3
SaguratuS

I would highly recommend trying xv under mplayer first. Currently I've had significant success with XGL, I've been able to get everything working perfectly under KDE.

Use the gl drivers as a last resort, you'll experience some video lag with any other 3d applications

Edit: I should also note that gmplayer is the -only- player I could not get video on, I've had the most success with mplayer (vlc and kaffeine/totem following thereafter)
SaguratuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 05:26 AM   #4
hette

I have the same problem under Xgl with any player with opengl output (mplayer, xine)
The problem only seems to occur while using the 8756 drivers. The 8178 drivers work fine on the same system with the same configs. So it must be a NVidia driver problem.
hette is offline   Reply With Quote