Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-06, 10:48 AM   #13
Jim1

Default Re: Performance of my shiny new 7800GS a bit disapointing

Exactly one gig of RAM, plus half a gig on the card. I've thought about getting an extra gig, but I've never seen my computer hit the swap file so far.

The problem seems to have been partly fixed last night when the Ubuntu guys pushed out a new kernel.

I noticed straight away (without going into a game) that something was different when the transparent select-a-rectangle thingy was much smoother on the KDE desktop. Previously this had been very slow on my machine for reasons I could never quite work out. The transparency is software-rendered, so I thought the problem was moving large pixmaps in and out of the gfx card.

Anyway, Quake4 plays OK now. Not as good as other people have got with the same card, but pretty good. In 1600x1200 and ultra mode with 4xAA and 4xAF I now get about 50fps! Not bad compared to the 18 I was sometimes getting before.

I'd still like to get fast writes enabled to bypass system ram when going CPU -> graphics card and haven't quite worked out how to do that yet, but I'm able to have a bit of fun in games now!
Old 04-24-06, 11:21 AM   #14
Jim1

Just got fast writes working. There's a guide for Ubuntu at:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140989

Was actually very easy to do. I'll post about the performance later.
Old 04-24-06, 06:24 PM   #15
JohnBell
JohnBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1
Exactly one gig of RAM, plus half a gig on the card. I've thought about getting an extra gig, but I've never seen my computer hit the swap file so far.

The problem seems to have been partly fixed last night when the Ubuntu guys pushed out a new kernel.

I noticed straight away (without going into a game) that something was different when the transparent select-a-rectangle thingy was much smoother on the KDE desktop. Previously this had been very slow on my machine for reasons I could never quite work out. The transparency is software-rendered, so I thought the problem was moving large pixmaps in and out of the gfx card.

Anyway, Quake4 plays OK now. Not as good as other people have got with the same card, but pretty good. In 1600x1200 and ultra mode with 4xAA and 4xAF I now get about 50fps! Not bad compared to the 18 I was sometimes getting before.

I'd still like to get fast writes enabled to bypass system ram when going CPU -> graphics card and haven't quite worked out how to do that yet, but I'm able to have a bit of fun in games now!
Cut your settings down to 2x AA Quincunx and 2x AF, then enable texture sharpening.

Please let me know the numbers on that... just curious.
Old 04-25-06, 05:08 AM   #16
eli

His cpu is holding his card back.
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 05:11 AM   #17
Xevious

yeah To be honost I saw a huge difference going from an athlon XP 2800 to an athlon 64 3200 in doom 3, same vid card( a geforce fx 5950xt) went from having to run the game at 640x480 or maybe 800x600 to 1024x768 or 1280x1024 and it ran much much better, doom3 seems to be highly CPU dependent to me.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 08:12 AM   #18
Jim1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBell
Cut your settings down to 2x AA Quincunx and 2x AF, then enable texture sharpening.

Please let me know the numbers on that... just curious.
I haven't benchmarked it (there doesn't seem to be a timedemo in Quake4) but I just tried those settings and there was no noticable difference. It may have been *slightly* faster, but we're talking 10% at the very most.

Probably the performance is CPU constrained rather than graphics card constrained.
Old 04-27-06, 05:02 AM   #19
dow

Send a message via ICQ to dow Send a message via MSN to dow

Overclocking my Opteron from 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz made Quake 4 playable at 1600x1200 rather than 1280x1024 on my 6800GT. Still, not in ultra mode with 4/4 aa/af I'm obsolete
dow is offline   Reply With Quote