Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-06, 12:22 AM   #1
adambultman

Send a message via AIM to adambultman Send a message via MSN to adambultman Send a message via Yahoo to adambultman
Default Dapper Drake, AMD64, GeForce 4 MX 440 problems

Greetings, everybody.

I'm running Ubuntu Dapper Drake on an AMD64 system. I have an MSI K8T Neo2 motherboard. My card is a GeForce 4 MX 440 dual VGA card. For the past year (over several motherboards, versions of linux, etc) I haven't been able to use the 'nvidia' driver for my Video Card.

Trying every single released version of the Nvidia driver (from the downloads section), only one has worked, and only once, and on a kernel that is no longer working (I upgraded from breezy yesterday so I could run the Xgl xserver.)

The most recent times I've tried, I've tried the ubuntu-supplied driver, as well as 7167, 7664, 8756, 8174, and 8178. Each time, I'd do a :

find / -name '*nvidia*' |xargs rm -rf
And I'd do the same with '*NVIDIA*' (with a grep -v run, so I wouldn't remove the run files.)

Any time, I get a black screen, no blilnking cursor. I need to reboot. If I remove the "nvidia" from the xorg.conf file, and put in "nv", it works, but of course, no GL.

Over the past two years, I've spent probably 30 hours trying different versions, different kernels, different distributions, etc - and nothing (save once yesterday) works.

Any ideas? I'm about to go to CompUseless and pick up a new card, but I'd rather not since my current card is more than strong enough for my needs (Scorched3d, and the Xgl server.)

Attaching nvidia bug report info and xorg.conf.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidiabugreport.zip (28.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (1.5 KB, 132 views)
adambultman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 11:39 PM   #2
adambultman

Send a message via AIM to adambultman Send a message via MSN to adambultman Send a message via Yahoo to adambultman
Default Re: Dapper Drake, AMD64, GeForce 4 MX 440 problems

For what it's worth, I bought a new card - Geforce 6200 or something - and it works fine - some tweaking required.

I put the old card in a dual AMD athlon 1800+ box, tyan tiger MB, 500 Antec PS, and it still freezes, no matter what the driver. Not that anyone is paying attention...
adambultman is offline   Reply With Quote