Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-06, 09:53 AM   #25
Hobartimus

Default Re: Beginner's guide to installing driver's?

Since I posted that last message i discovered it has nothing to do with logging off. All I have to do is NOT use network services for a few minutes and I lose it. Meaning, if I leave the computer idle or if I use the computer but do not get online, network services will stop working after a few minutes. IP, subnet, gateway all show correctly, but no activity.

This is an out-of-the-box NVIDIA nForce 410 with onboard GeForce 6100. No dedicated video card.

Also, audio is not working at all with SuSE. I installed the nvidia video drivers too, but I cannot change it from vesa. I tried Fedora C5 and video/audio worked great with no effort on my part, but I never got the network up even with extensive help from the nvnews.net linux support forums.

Maybe I should just stick to Mac :-P
Hobartimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 12:27 PM   #26
Hobartimus

Well, I left everything as is, but changed the kernel module name back to forcedeth and it seems to be working fine. NVIDIA instructions had me change it to nvnet.

I was told in another forum that I did not need the nforce drivers -- just compiling the kernel should make forcedeth work.
Old 05-02-06, 01:30 PM   #27
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobartimus
I installed the nvidia video drivers too, but I cannot change it from vesa.
As I replied before, you should NOT attempt to change the video device in YaST.
Install it as told in the README. I.e. exit X, run the installer, change the X configuration using one of the described methods, and then just use it.
The YaST video configuration will not show the card type but this is not a problem. It happens because it is not an open driver that is included in the Xorg supported set of drivers.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 01:43 PM   #28
Hobartimus

Sorry, I've have been so absorbed in the networking issue that I overlooked everything else. I will go back and read your previous post before I tinker with video.