Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-05, 10:22 PM   #1
danmanj

Default repeatable crash in under 1 minute with binary driver

The 6629 and 6111 driver crash on me no matter how many patches I apply or how much I slow down the AGP bus. Lots of people have reported this, to no resolution, and lots of other people say "it works for me, try random unrelated things to see if they make the problem go away" So I have worked to make a test scenario that crashes good and hard every time on my computer. I am hoping the "works for me" crowd can give it a shot, and others who are experiencing the crashes can try it out too.

follow the simple steps:

1) install xwrits (a program everyone should be running anyway)
2) start x-windows
3) open an xterm, cut and paste the following command:

xwrits typetime=0 breaktime=3 canceltime=5 +cheat=10 +beep +breakclock +clock +finger +multiply +quota=1:45 &xwrits typetime=0 breaktime=3 canceltime=5 +cheat=10 +beep +breakclock +clock +finger +multiply +quota=1:45 &xwrits typetime=0 breaktime=3 canceltime=5 +cheat=10 +beep +breakclock +clock +finger +multiply +quota=1:45 &xwrits typetime=0 breaktime=3 canceltime=5 +cheat=10 +beep +breakclock +clock +finger +multiply +quota=1:45 &xwrits typetime=0 breaktime=3 canceltime=5 +cheat=10 +beep +breakclock +clock +finger +multiply +quota=1:45 &xwrits typetime=0 breaktime=3 canceltime=5 +cheat=10 +beep +breakclock +clock +finger +multiply +quota=1:45 &

[this starts several competing instances of xwrits, and all are told not to let you type for longer than zero minutes, and to be annoying about it]

4) start typing or just hold down the space bar. xwrits will try to stop you from typing until you take a break by popping up lots of annoying flashing windows. within 25 seconds my computer crashes hard, and the telltale sign that this is a graphics driver problem is that one of the xwrits windows is always stuck halfway between 2 frames of animation. Note that this is a purely 2D problem. No 3D anything is happening.

I hope this helps people narrow down the problem, since it otherwise is random and hard to reproduce. Maybe some of the "works for me" crowd will find find out that even their machines are vulnerable.

I have not tried ever possible combination of kernel and driver and other stuff, because I know some others have done that to no avail. I have tried many combinations, but did not keep a log of them. Suffice to say they all failed.

My computer is not too hot, or using bad RAM, or cheap components, it is server-class hardware from top to bottom. I am convinced that this is indeed a driver issue, no matter how many times I see the words "works for me".

HTH
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-bug-report.log.txt (16.4 KB, 220 views)
danmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 10:40 PM   #2
danmanj

Default Re: repeatable crash in under 1 minute with binary driver

here is the rest of the bug report thingy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (32.5 KB, 226 views)
Old 03-07-05, 11:31 PM   #3
silentplummet

On my box, doing the above spawns 150 xwrits windows, which are currently flashing away on my second monitor, driven by the DVI output of my GeForce FX 5900. My mp3 didn't even skip.

This is not to say that the driver isn't a bug-riddled POS. But this particular test doesn't crash my box.

How many windows are you spawning before you crash?
silentplummet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:33 PM   #4
mlaks

I have a much easier method.

Just go into kde and start KDE Control Center and then open up the screen saver section. Try out an OpenGL screen saver. Let it play for a few minutes. Try a few other ones. in Less than 5 minutes you get a crash.

Or else, just start up emacs and start working. open a few other windows. konqueror say, and within a few minutes crash

99% XFREE86 cpu usage. Nonresponsive keyboard,
+-ssh login ability +- pingability of machine.

Xid error message in the /var/log/syslog file.

I wish i knew how to get it working. I am working on an app that needs float valued textures, so my 5950 is not good enough to work with.
Mitchell
mlaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:35 PM   #5
mlaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentplummet
On my box, doing the above spawns 150 xwrits windows, which are currently flashing away on my second monitor, driven by the DVI output of my GeForce FX 5900. My mp3 didn't even skip.

This is not to say that the driver isn't a bug-riddled POS. But this particular test doesn't crash my box.

I think this is a 6600 and 6800 problem.

My NVIDIA 5950 is golden with these drivers. It never crashed.
mlaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 11:40 PM   #6
silentplummet

Since the parent poster didn't specify FX 6xxx series, I went ahead and repeated the test with 16 instances of xwrits instead of 6. This froze up X but didn't hardlock my box. I could still control num-lock and caps-lock, and the familiar ctrl-alt-bksp allowed me to kill X and recover.

(Aside: I know that recovering once again in this manner WOULD hardlock my box. X will only tolerate being restarted once with the NV binary.)
Old 03-08-05, 12:39 AM   #7
danmanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaks
I think this is a 6600 and 6800 problem.

My NVIDIA 5950 is golden with these drivers. It never crashed.
Well that is funny, because I have a 5700.
Old 03-08-05, 12:41 AM   #8
danmanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaks
I have a much easier method.

Just go into kde and start KDE Control Center and then open up the screen saver section. Try out an OpenGL screen saver.
Yeah, well that's the thing. If you are using 3D people will say "what power supply are you running? is your GPU too hot?"

This way crashes my system no matter what i try, does it quickly, and does it without any 3D issues. Does it work for you?

Old 03-08-05, 12:42 AM   #9
danmanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentplummet
about 25 -40
Old 03-08-05, 01:00 AM   #10
silentplummet

I managed to get up to 241 before X stopped responding. I wonder why it produces a hardlock in your situation and not mine.
Old 05-02-06, 02:56 PM   #11
saqer

I confirm this. I downloaded gnash (open source flash player ) and compiled it with opengl enabled. When I play this 2D flash movie (stick fight from suho), toward the end of the movie, weird lines start to develope in the gnash window and if I wait enough, the computer gets a hard lock up; Not even ssh to the machine works. It just dies.

Why do not we hear from nvidia guys about this particular issue? Is it hardware or driver issue? I see this forum has plenty of complains about this particular behaviour and never knew what is wrong. I had my 6600gt card for over a year now and the issue is never solved nor even addressed by nvidia. why?
RAM: Corsair xms 4GB 3200C2 (400)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 6600GT 128MB
Monitor: 20 inch wide screen dell 2005FPW

DeskTop 2:
CPU: dual xeon 2.8GH 533 FSB
motherboard: SuperMicro X5DAL
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: ASUS GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x (rev a2)
Monitor: Dual Display ViewSonic VA912b
saqer is offline   Reply With Quote