Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-06, 03:50 AM   #1
Rainer Krienke

Default Noninteractive installation stops asking questions

In case of linux kernel-updates I install completely non interactively the nvidia driver. The latest driver 8756 for ia32 seems to have a problem here (suse10.0).

I call the installer using: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run -a -q -n --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux=/usr/src/linux < inputfile

inputfile contains a sequence of CRs (^M)
The installation starts, the driver is compiled but then it displays a warning message waiting for an "OK". The warning says: "Your driver installation has been altered since it was initially installed; This may happen ....."
Manually installing I can press the enter button here and then the installation completes.

The problem is, that doing a noninteractive install I cannot get past this point in the installation since I cannot confirm manually pressing enter. It also seems the the input buffer has been emptied before so that my "inputfile" containing lots of CRs does not help either.

This used to work with earlier drivers. How can I do a completely noninteractive installation now?
Rainer Krienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 12:39 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Noninteractive installation stops asking questions

The -s switch is what should be used for silent, non-interactive installations.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 01:05 AM   #3
Rainer Krienke

Default Re: Noninteractive installation stops asking questions

Thanks for the hint. Yes using -s it works. However one cannot see any progress then and after all I thought that exactly -q should take care of the fact, that no questions at all are requested from the user. This seems to have changed for the case above.

Thanks
Rainer
Rainer Krienke is offline   Reply With Quote