Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which do you think is the better gaming platform?
PC 31 86.11%
Gaming console 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-03, 10:19 PM   #25
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

Even though I like couple console games, those are just minority not even worth bothering, plus to little time to play on both systems and I'm soon going 19yrs, so playing with gamepads in your living room @ this age makes you look retarded
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 10:57 PM   #26
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Wink

I have to say both. There is no option for that so I didn't vote. I am leaning more to console(xbox) tho just cuz I have more fun with friends on it than I do on the computer
Old 03-13-03, 06:44 PM   #27
fishlung
"Steempy, you nVeediot!"

Yeah, where's the option for both? Currently, I'm trying to juggle playing several different games on my PS2 and GC. I haven't gamed much on my PC lately, but that will certainly change once the next interesting thing comes out.
fishlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 11:25 PM   #28
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

heh, I been doin some console vs. pc testing lately... Pulled up "pressure" level on UT for DC, went down by the chamber and sat. Paused. Hit my vid. switch, and loaded UT on PC w/tv out... Turned my chair and kbd, and went to "pressure", and went down by the chamber... Both were @ 640x480, but my ti4200 had everything up the highest. Didn't need AA, but turned on 4xAF... Boy, the pc looked nice vs. the DC, but the DC was fun provided you had the controls right. It was fun swapping between platforms, runnin the same level on the same game.

... I didn't vote either. They both have their strong points...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 01:11 AM   #29
skipparoo

PC. It it most certainly THE superior gaming platform, for all the reasons described above. But, there's one feature a PC really needs, or I should say, a feature developers really should incorporate into their games...the ability for it to emulate a console.

What I mean by this is simple. Many PC users are already using gamepads to play PC games through a USB connection. Why not include a split-screen multiplayer option in some of these FPS games as well as others, so that when you do have friends over, you can all play as if you were playing on a console, of course, with all the benefits of a PC. That way your friend or friends wouldn't just have to sit there on a chair while you frag away by yourself on some online server.

This really would be a great idea, cause then, who needs an XboX, or any other console for that matter =] Sure, you may get complaints from these manufacturers, most likely not, but, who is to care, we PC gamers have every right to use this kind of multiplayer setup. XboX has already gone online, so it now has both kinds of multiplayable options, online or split-screen, so I think it's about time PC gamers have the ability also.

So what do you say PC game developers, yes you! =] Start writing in split-screen multiplayer features through the use of USB gamepads, or heck, even a couple of mouse and keyboard combinations =] I personally would love to see UT2003 with this option, for example, cause I know my little cousin here would really enjoy playing against me for once! =]

-Skippy
skipparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 05:30 AM   #30
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, theres a few problems with split-screen PC gaming:

#1. you'd need 4 extra gamepads for it to be fair (and some computers don't even have 4 USB ports)

#2. PC screens are pretty small for split screen games, and everyone would have to huddle around your computer desk, unless you hook your PC up to a TV...which kindof defeats the purpose.

#3. Most games have enough trouble running with just 1 screen, can you imagine Doom 3 runing at A QUARTER of it's current performence?!?

And most of the time when people want to just sit down and play a game split screen, they don't want to hastle with starting up a computer, getting everything connected, etc. Still, there are some games that use this feature, most notably Serious Sam (a FPS, which if you listen to most PC gamers, is the type of game you DON'T want to play on a game-pad). Still, at one point Online gaming was exclusive to PCs, and now online services on Consoles are getting as good as some PC online games, so it's certainly possible that companies will start making more split-screen games...just not very probable.

Oh, and if you want to play your little cousin in UT2003, you could get Unreal Championship for the Xbox, you know
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 07:10 AM   #31
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

yeh, only games I know of with Split screen are SSSE and Sega Rally 2...

You gotta kick stuff down a little for split screen to run smooth, no? Cuz I remember accidentaly starting a split screen match with everything up all the way, and I got quite the slowdown...

... hey, at least it could do it...

Yeh, PC games need a "console/tv" mode, where the fx are managed and optimized for the tv, and controller settings are mapped automatically... There needs to be a standard game pad type... or three...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 07:16 AM   #32
StealthHawk

let me chime in here although many things have been said.

1) most PC gamers actually don't use gamepads or any other controller to play games.

2) as already mentioned, split screen gaming takes a very big toll on performance.

3) as mentioned, monitors are ridiculously small. i have yet to meet anyone with a larger monitor than 19" or 21." that just doesn't cut it. as an addendum, most people have their computers set up at desks. this creates a big space problem for seating, and means that people will have to be even further from the monitor, increasing the size issue.

4) most games aren't conducive to split screen gaming. take FPS games for example. one of the biggest problems about playing an FPS game on a console is that one person usually knows the map better than everyone else, and they can tell instantly where you are by looking at your screen and know exactly how to sneak up on you. thanks, but no.

consoles are consoles and PCs are PCs. they have separate strengths and weaknesses. trying to make some kind of "super box" usually runs awry.

Old 03-14-03, 08:11 AM   #33
Smokey
Team Rainbow

I hate split screen gaming thats why LAN parties are so much fun
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 10:38 AM   #34
Chalnoth

Yeah, I don't think that anything else comes close to LAN parties when it comes to multiplayer gaming. I haven't been to one in a while
Old 03-14-03, 11:21 AM   #35
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Yeah, I don't think that anything else comes close to LAN parties when it comes to multiplayer gaming. I haven't been to one in a while
very true... lan parties are the ULTIMATE frag fests... and unfortunately I have not been to one lately either...

btw... yes... I prefer kb/mouse over any other combo... I am just too used to it... and reflexes seem to be better represented in overall play == skill shown to the proper levels... even if you are not a john wayne type
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-03, 02:08 AM   #36
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Uh, I'm not trying to annoy people or be a fanboy, but you do realize that Xbox can do lan party gaming too, right

And you can even use a VGA box thingy to display it on a monitor, though like I said before split screen would be kinda more difficult on a smaller monitor (though I guess you wouldn't have to worry about USB ports or controlers as much). Though it kinda sucks that Xbox doesn't have any games that support more then 4 lan-ed Xboxes together (I think), so until then I'm happily playing Battlefield 1942 and Counter-strike at our lans.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote