Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-06, 01:26 PM   #25
evilghost

Default Re: Constantly have to reinstall Driver on Ubuntu Breezy

efwis, I checked the bug report by using the URL http://www.iabusinessprojects.com/te...bug-report.log and I don't see where X failed, I see no (EE) events in the log. What behavior manifests when you say "X fails"?
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 02:04 PM   #26
efwis

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
efwis, I checked the bug report by using the URL http://www.iabusinessprojects.com/te...bug-report.log and I don't see where X failed, I see no (EE) events in the log. What behavior manifests when you say "X fails"?
complete lockup, I had to use tty2 to get a prompt to even run the bug report. Then when I used nano to reset the driver to "nv" and rebooted it rebooted with no problems.
efwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 02:13 PM   #27
evilghost

In section "Device" in xorg.conf add:
Option "NVAGP" "0"

See http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-d.html for details on what that argument does.

Also make sure you have the current BIOS for your motherboard.

Let me know if the lock up persists.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-06, 02:48 PM   #28
efwis

Bios is the most current version available for my system.

booted with that in place, no lockup or X failure, however I still have to re-install the driver to have 3d rendering work
Old 05-01-06, 08:30 PM   #29
efwis

new twist,
i had to boot to windows for a little while, and when I booted back to linux X failed to start.
xorg.0.log attached from the crash
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (21.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-09-06, 08:02 AM   #30
skayen

Hello,

I have an identical problem with Ubuntu and Windows. I don't yet have a bug report to look at, but the circumstances pertaining to my problem are:

- I have dual boot Windows XP + Ubuntu Breezy

- X does not start when booting into Linux after booting Windows, but reinstalling the drivers fixes the problem.

- However, today I booted Windows and tried to launch a game. XP panicked and rebooted. I tried the game again, and it loaded but had obvious graphics glitches, which seemed to be corrupt / missing textures.

- X now *hangs* when it tries to start. Whereas before GDM would give up trying to start X and report an error ("do you want to see the error log?"), now all I get is a black screen after the monitor tries to change modes. I can't get another virtual console terminal and killing X with ctrl + alt + backspace doesn't do anything. I can reboot by ctrl + alt + del, though.

- I've tried bootnig into LInux in safe mode and look at the X logs. A cursory glance suggests a similar X log to the previous post: it ends after GLX has started, and there are _NO_ (EE) messages.

- The monitor status light remains green, suggesting it DOES have a signal. (Plugging the monitor into the other ports changes the status light to amber==no signal.)

- Reinstalling the drivers doesnt' fix the problem.

- I installed the windows drivers in the vain hope that they may reconfigure the card somehow. But that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? They'd really be appreciated.

thanks in advance,
John
skayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 07:20 PM   #31
skayen

Hi,

I fixed my problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling GLX. I also changed the default graphcis mode to 800x600 because I had heard there were problems with 1280x1024. X started fine, and I changed the default mode back to what I wanted and it stills works, so I suspect the problem is _just_ with GLX.

I've had other problems with GLX before, incidentially. :-/

anyway, I hope this soln also works for the original poster.

cheers
John
skayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 07:16 AM   #32
efwis

hi skayen,

I had already tried the route of uninstall and then re-installing the GLX driver, didnt' make a difference in my case. My main problem, is that I the Nvidia Kernel module isn't staying as the primary driver so I have to constantly reinstall it.

I don't know if this is a bug in the kernel, the nvidia driver, or and error on my part when installing it. My next step will be to boot to root and see if that makes a difference in keeping the driver in place.