Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-03, 02:40 PM   #1
[Mystik_Cool]

Default Compiling NVdriver for new kernel ...

I know many questions have already been asked about that before, but here is something a little bit different :

With YOU (Yast Online Update), I get the NVIDIA_KERNEL.rpm, which provides me a NVdriver (which is in /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/video). To be able to run 3D accelerating, I have to use this driver (and not a nvidia.o compiled from the sources from nvidia website or something else, this never worked). This is how I got it working for this kernel.

But I compiled a new kernel. I'd like to have this driver for this new kernel. If I simply copy the NVdriver file from /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/video to /lib/modules/ 2.4.18-new/video, I get an error (kernel version mismatch). I don't know how I could get it for my new kernel, as I didn't compile anything, I simply ran YOU and downloaded the patch. And, of course, if I try to run to patch downloaded from Yast (the NVIDIA_KERNEL.rpm file), it says that this package is already installed...
[Mystik_Cool] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-03, 03:13 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

A kernel module cannot be run on a kernel it was not compiled for, or configured for in other words. So unfortunately just copying the file into the new kernel modules will not work.

You should remove the older rpm and try to use this driver installer help (YOU?). If it installs the correct driver then you are good to go.. however that is unlikely.. the reason:

use:
rpm -qa | grep NVIDIA
to find the exact name of the installed rpm, then:
rpm -e <name_of_rpm_here>
to remove it (remove <> in above line too )

You compiled your own kernel. This is a good thing, however it screws you for installing modules other people compiled

Get the source rpm from nvidia, follow the directions they give, and compile it. Provided you compiled your kernel... AND kept the source configured just as you compiled it, this will work. If not, then you must re-configure your kernel sources to match the running kernel.

Always SAVE a copy of your kernel source config when compiling a kernel, it is very handy.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-03, 04:52 PM   #3
[Mystik_Cool]

Yeeehaw ! I had the wonderful idea of having another look at all the files provided by the rpm downloaded with the update tool... The sources were there, waiting to be compiled for my new kernel

I have it working now ! Thanx for all the tips !
[Mystik_Cool] is offline   Reply With Quote