Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-06, 01:19 AM   #1
Chin Gim Leong

Default SUSE 10.0 System Hangs Too Often

Hi,

My SUSE 10.0 system hangs too often. These hangs occur out of the blue, maybe 2 to 3 weeks without problems, then a hang happens. When it happens, I may get it maybe twice in a short space of time. The hangs occur without warning only when I am doing something in the desktop. It could be with any application I am using, although I spend a lot of time in Firefox and Gaim. The hangs happen in both KDE and GNOME, when I am in an application and when I am switching between applications, minimizing or maximizing a window. One of the hangs occured when I was logging out of GNOME.

I know for sure that the kernel is dead as I have SysRq enabled and ALT+r and other keystrokes do not work. All the log files show nothing since the system is totally dead.

I always have the latest BIOS and nVidia video driver installed. The hangs occur with the various versions of BIOS and video driver. Thinking that it could be related to the network interface driver, I have installed the nVidia nForce network driver, but the hangs still happen. The hangs are not likely to be due to the sound card as they happen both before and after installing the sound card. There is no IRQ conflict of the various cards.

AMD Cool'n'Quiet has been enabled. The hangs had also happened when Cool'n'Quiet was diabled.

I have pretty much ruled out most things and I strongly suspect the problem is with the interaction between the nVidia video driver and the kernel, as the hangs occur only when I am doing something in the desktop. I have gkrellm running and all temperatures and voltages are OK, so it is not an overheating or voltage issue. I had run the Memory Test and there were no failures, so the RAM should be OK.

Has anyone with a similar configuration experienced something similar?

My system:

Full install of retail SUSE 10.0 64 bit, 2.6.13-15.8 SMP kernel, everything updated to the latest versions using YOU.

AMD Opteron 175
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe, nVidia nForce4 SLIx16 chipset
Kingston KVR400X72C3A/1G x2, unbuffered ECC 2GB RAM
all default clock speeds and timings, ECC enabled, Cool'n'Quiet enabled
latest BIOS, latest nVidia video and network driver

XFX nVidia GeForce 7800GT, factory clock speeds
Creative Audigy 4
Antec TruPower 550W
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA II 300GB
8GB swap, single root partition of XFS

Any ideas?

Thank you!

GL
Chin Gim Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 03:46 AM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: SUSE 10.0 System Hangs Too Often

When you are willing to to another test that may provide another datapoint, I would say try a non-SMP kernel.
I have seen reports before on this forum of large systems that sometimes crashed, and were SMP as well.

I am almost never minimizing windows, but use a multi-desktop setup instead. It has never crashed in the way you describe, but it is a single processor (old single thread) system.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-06, 11:29 AM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 09:05 AM   #4
Chin Gim Leong

Hi,

Here is the log. It contains only my system configuration information as the system is totally frozen when the problem hits and no log information is written any where.

GL
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (34.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 05-10-06, 03:27 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I have a few questions:
0) Does this reproduce with a non-SMP kernel?
1) Does this reproduce with a more recent (2.6.16.x) kernel?
2) Does this reproduce without Coolbits in your xorg.conf?
3) Does this reproduce if you boot with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 05-10-06, 10:20 PM   #6
cjcox

I've experienced the random hangs with 10.0 as well. However at least one config was not Nvidia... I suspect the kernel personally. One host was my dual Opteron w2100z (6600GT), another was a P4 3Ghz (6600GT), another was a AMD (939) 3700+ (7800GT) and another was a HP nc6230 laptop (ATA X300).

I use 9.3-64 now on my w2100z. The P4 3Ghz also back leveled to 9.3.

It just locks up... no messages, nothing to trace... no sign of cause of lockup after machine is rebooted.
cjcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 01:21 AM   #7
Chin Gim Leong

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Does this reproduce with a non-SMP kernel?
1) Does this reproduce with a more recent (2.6.16.x) kernel?
2) Does this reproduce without Coolbits in your xorg.conf?
3) Does this reproduce if you boot with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters?

Thanks,
Lonni
The freeze happens maybe once in 2 or 3 weeks and I am unable to reproduce at will. A few times I just clicked something in Firefox and then the system froze.
Other times I minimized, maximized a window, or switched active windows and the system froze.
The one thing in common is that I was clicking something on the desktop when the system froze. If I leave the system alone, the problem does not happen. There are background processes like various cron jobs running and also opened applications like KTorrent running even when I am not using the desktop.

As for trying non-SMP kernel and noacpi, it means that I have to use each configuration for maybe 3, 4 weeks or even longer, on a configuration that is not very usable just to see if I get hit; only 1 core and also no AMD PowerNow! to reduce the heat and energy usage, which is why I have not tried them yet. I switched from KDE to GNOME and did not get the problem for more than 4 weeks, was very happy as I thought the problem had gone away, until I got hit one day..., you see my point?

Answers:
0) not tried, reason given above
1) not tried, will have to do some major surgery to the SUSE system to use another kernel version which is not tested to be compatible with the rest of SUSE 10.0
2) I got hit before and after I enabled Coolbits on the previous driver version
3) not tried, reason given above

GL
Old 05-11-06, 12:10 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

This could be a kernel or BIOS bug. Without testing the items that I listed, there's no way to isolate this down and eliminate variables.

Thanks,
Lonni