Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-06, 11:39 AM   #1
linuxham

Default Debian Sid and Nvidia drivers not working

I tried d/l the latest 8756, and the nvidia debs, nothing will get GLX working. Using kernel 2.6.16-1-k7 and xorg. When I install the Nvidia driver, it completes without any error messages, but does not update my xorg.conf file. I have tried nvidia-xconfig from Debian, and it does create an Nvidia xorg.conf, but X won't boot. Video card is a PCI GeForce 5200. What can I do now?

Thanks!
linuxham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 01:32 PM   #2
juergen8

Default Re: Debian Sid and Nvidia drivers not working

you'll have to configure your xorg.conf manually. anyway, more details would be useful. you should provide your Xorg.log which is /var/log/Xorg.0.log here (also debian sid).
juergen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 04:53 PM   #3
fs3rp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by juergen8
you'll have to configure your xorg.conf manually. anyway, more details would be useful. you should provide your Xorg.log which is /var/log/Xorg.0.log here (also debian sid).
Look this.

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7?highlight=%28nvidia%29

If installing the original nvidia drivers from the nvidia.com drivers download page with the official driver script, use --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/. Otherwise not only the driver itself will be installed in /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers or /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but also the OpenGL
libraries might not work.
fs3rp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 10:43 PM   #4
linuxham

I installed the 8756 drivers with the --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/, and used nvidia-xconfig from Debian to create the xorg.conf, and have attached the nvidia install log, and the Xorg.0.log. It seems that glcore is at fault. I installed x11proto-gl-dev to get glcore.h, but no good. Xwindows works, but module glx doesn't get loaded. Any pointers?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-13-06, 11:19 PM   #5
linuxham

The internet at my home is really really slow. I Googled on GLcore, found that it was libGLcore, and that it came from nvidia-glx-dev, so I installed it. Wine won't play any games, but native games like bzflag work, so I think my driver problems are over, and now onto wine upgrading.