Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-06, 10:09 PM   #25
zbiggy

Default Re: Why are Linux (graphics) drivers slower than windows drivers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsboer
Ok, so it's often not the graphics drivers that is the problem (but linux drivers still lack in features compared to windows ones), but rather bad linux implementations even with the native games?
The video part of Nvidia driver is very weak:
-no deinterlacing
-no mpeg1,4 acceleration
VIA have mpeg1,4 acceleration for older integrated graphics for K7 Athlons/Durons and Nvidia still can not add it for K8 Athlons64 and recent gpu chips.

2D acceleration is on medium level.

3D acceleration is very, very good.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 04:06 AM   #26
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
The video part of Nvidia driver is very weak:
-no deinterlacing
-no mpeg1,4 acceleration
Yes, *that* is a real pity...
I am only using my 6600GT for X desktop and video playing.
With each new generation of videocards, we see emphasis on gaming. And on the Windows platform, there is quite a lot of support for video as well. But on Linux we barely get to see any of that.

I wonder how many Linux users play games on their machine, compared to the number of Linux boxes used for mediacenter/home theatre purpose.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 04:10 AM   #27
Linuxhippy

1.) Linux drivers are not that optimized:
To squeeze out the last 10% of software you need the same amount of work that was needed to archive the already existng 90%.
For windows this may be worth it, since most buyers buy a card because it performs like hell on this or that game.
But for Linux most guys don't care that much, especially when it comes down to games which are quite seldom played on linux (when looking at the game market-share linux is below 1%)

A good example for this is that Vista-ready drivers existed/exists a long time before vista is available (I think they started uploading first builds a year ago), whereas for the Composite extension on Linux it took a year after it has been realeased to get good support.

2.) Linux games are not that optimized:
For Windows games are often compiled with special optimizing compilers and tools and many levels or fallback-dlls to get most performance out of the available hardware.
Linux games are most likely compiled using gcc, which is a very very good compiler but not as tuned for some special tasks like e.g. intel or MS compilers.

3.) There is no reason why linux in general is slower, at least not more than 2-3%. OpenGL in Linux does not differ much from OpenGL in windows, both are direct, realized with syscalls calling to a kernel-driver which talks to the hardware.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 06:32 AM   #28
energyman76b

Quote:
Yes, there have been issues.

But in most cases optimizing (not faking higher scores) is only for the benefit for us users. Per game optimizing is brilliant in my opinion. That way we get the most from each game. This is as long as it's not affecting image quality in a noticable way of course.
how does reducing the picture quality to get 180FPS instead of 175FPS benefit 'us users'?

But hey, some people love big number so they can compare them with their friends.

Once they compared how far they could piss, today 'benchmark results'...

I don't want 'per game optimized drivers' - I want drivers, that show CORRECT pictures like the game coders intended them. And I want good performance for all cases - and not only the 'optimized' ones!

Btw, you could compare vegastrike fps between linux and windows - I bet nobody optimized for it ....
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 02:28 PM   #29
marsboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
how does reducing the picture quality to get 180FPS instead of 175FPS benefit 'us users'?

But hey, some people love big number so they can compare them with their friends.
I said I didn't want that kind of optimizing. I use vsync always so I don't care about 341213 fps, only need 60 and the best picture quality possible
marsboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 06:53 AM   #30
Ian_SUperfly

"Why are Linux (graphics) drivers slower than windows drivers??"

Are they? When?

I have not made a lot of tests but Doom3 and Quake 4 is for me about 20-40% faster on my Linux partition than on my Windows (XP) partition. Both use the latest Nvidia drivers and my GF is an ASUS 6600 GT (128 MB AGP).

The difference is in fact so big that I am in Linux able to run Doom 3 at a very steaddy frame rate (35+) at 1280 x 1024 +everything on and 4x Anti alasing. In Windows I have to stay with 1024 x 768 +everything on and 2x Anti alasing??!

I use Mandriva 2006, 64 bit version. ASUS A8V 939 motherboard. 1024 MB memory. CPU AMD 64 3000 @ 3400.

So, is it my (newly formated) XP that is behaving bad or is it my Linux that is behaving good?

Btw, earlier (6 months +) when I used earlier drivers and 32 bit Linux, Windows was alwas 10-15% faster.
Ian_SUperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 08:15 AM   #31
energyman76b

I suspect, that the 64bit feature (more register), availabe in mandriva, but not in 32 windows (or 32bit linux), is the cause of the speed advantage ....
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 10:55 AM   #32
LinuxRocks

I have to agree with the games in Linux performs better camp.

I have made benchmarks between Windows and Linux and Linux always comes out on top (On 4 of 4 systems I test on).

Sometimes, Windows will have a higher FPS score, but game play is choppy...Very choppy.

Linux has always had better performance in NATIVE games (Cedega is another story, but is getting a lot better as time goes on).

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-06, 01:21 PM   #33
marsboer

Maybe I'll give SUSE Linux 10.1 a shot then. But only if I don't get mouse accel in q3
Old 05-15-06, 01:25 PM   #34
LinuxRocks

Quote:
Maybe I'll give SUSE Linux 10.1 a shot then. But only if I don't get mouse accel in q3

I would also try a i686 optimized distro because you will see better performance than a distro that is compiled for compatibility (i386); even if you have a Pentium or AMD.

I have used Gentoo, but I don't have that much time in a day to compile EVERYTHING I get.

I use Arch Linux and really enjoy it. All packages are compiled for i686 and you can customize what packaged gets installed. Its a binary distro meaning that you can install an app in seconds.

Good Luck...

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 01:43 PM   #35
marsboer

I use the 64bit version, so I don't have to worry about i386