Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-06, 09:30 AM   #13
vnywn

Default Re: 1.0-8762 first impressions

Thanks for the info.

8756 works fine with 7.1 beta, when you disable render acceleration. Otherwise, font rendering is broken. So, I presume 8762 also will.

Still, I would much prefer, that simple changes like this one, didn't take several weeks/months.
vnywn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 09:36 AM   #14
bushwakko

I agree, renderaccel is very important and should be enabled. I don't like using an old version of Xorg just because nvidia has a "schedule" to follow...
bushwakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 09:41 AM   #15
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnywn
8756 works fine with 7.1 beta, when you disable render acceleration. Otherwise, font rendering is broken. So, I presume 8762 also will.
it works ok for me when using subpixel smoothing in gnome's font preferences (on fedora rawhide).
Old 05-23-06, 09:47 AM   #16
bushwakko

Yes, gnome seems to be ok, but kde doesn't work, so there is clearly something wrong there... :/ Should be possible for nvidia to just make a patch that uses the new methods in very short time, I think it's strange this hasn't been done with the newly released drivers.
bushwakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 01:32 PM   #17
vnywn

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tf_
it works ok for me when using subpixel smoothing in gnome's font preferences (on fedora rawhide).
Indeed it does. Though I'm running with "Best shapes" turned on, since I think it looks much better on a CRT. Font rendering with render acceleration is broken in that case.

With render acceleration disabled it runs fine, so support for 7.1 ABI is not something I need very much. Though I think, it clearly shows that there's something wrong with NVidia's release procedures. The change to ABI was made 1.5 month ago by Aaron Plattner, who is employed by NVidia and does a lot of work for Xorg. The same day he updated the open-source nv driver. So it's not much work. The situation when you have to wait several months for simple fixes/changes is quite annoying. Though, maybe I'm spoiled by open source software.
vnywn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 05:10 PM   #18
shutdown

I've got quite a different first impression of the new nVidia 8762 driver:
Overlays are still not working (stopped working after 8172 or something), why can't you guys just fix it again? It worked pretty well for a very long time...

The next thing I encountered was my firefox immediately crashing after startup with the new driver, no problems with the old driver - and it looks like firefox decided to forget about everything I had in it, all my bookmarks and settings are gone after that ****ing crash...I can't tell if it really is the new driver, but at the moment it looks like. Sadly I did not get any error messages, not even a segfault or something?!?

So right now I can't understand why you released that piece of crap, actually you did not even get that overlay bug fixed...and I don't think this is way too much of work, is it?

If ATI did not produce even worse drivers I would have bought a card from them at least by now, but it seems no one is really interested in Linux. Sad but true!
Another thing with the new drivers is that crazy idea of having an "legacy" driver for the old GF2 and Quadro2 cards, for me it looks like nvidia wants me to buy some new cards, but I think you should do something more than only not supporting old cards any longer!
You don't support the old cards but the drivers for the new ones are not useable as well, so what do you guys expect from us?

I think that's enough critics at the moment, but this is really going the very, very wrong way at the moment, I hope the 9xxx drivers will be better!
So PLEASE hunt those nasty bugs in the drivers and release a great 9xxx driver series soon

Shutdown
shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 05:33 PM   #19
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you are experiencing problems with overlays, please detail how the problem can be reproduced, and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 03:09 AM   #20
conexion2000

First impression?... is last impression. No support for new xorg ABI.
conexion2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-06, 09:44 AM   #21
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

Quote:
Reply-To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases <fedora-test-list@redhat.com>
Subject: rawhide report: 20060524 changes
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 03:54:01 -0400 (09:54 CEST)

Updated Packages:

xorg-x11-server-1.1.0-1
-----------------------
* Tue May 23 2006 Adam Jackson <ajackson@redhat.com> 1.1.0-1
- Xorg 7.1 final.

ok it has happened!
so there is no driver from nvidia to continue testing fedora core
development.

hope you guys come up with a fixed driver asap!
Old 05-24-06, 10:00 AM   #22
Rughnut

I have been trying to get xxmc to run smoothly Kaffeine 0.8.2 beta 1 with my fx5500 , athlon-xp 2500 setup for some time.

Glad to say it seems to run much better with these drivers :-)

There was some trouble with my xorg.conf that caused a blue screen on 8756 and 8762 until I totally modified the file.

Renderaccel and XvMC uses textures arent set maybe they have something to do with it?

From what I see the driver runs just as fast as 8178 3D wise, just much more stable video wise :-)
Rughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 11:41 AM   #23
mikedep333

I'm surprised to hear you people complaining about using an "old version of X.org." This is Linux for God's sake, even end application releases are unstable before they've been integrated into a stable distro release; X servers are even worse. No stable distro release has included the 2 day old X.org 7.1 yet, and even next month's ubuntu release probably won't have it. Nvidia is trying to support the vast majority of linux users, not the ones that use bleeding edge components before they can be used with stability.
mikedep333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 12:26 PM   #24
brblueser

I just upgraded to 8762, and so far no problems (I guess most of the changes listed on the Changelog don't affect me).

I just wanted to drop a note about some of the criticism I've seen on this thread. While I, as a Fedora user, am also concerned about Xorg 7.1 being fully supported when FC6 gets finally released (which according to RedHat's roadmap should happen on September), AIGLX and all, sometimes I believe people get too harsh on the complaints. Someone even complained that NVIDIA has a schedule to follow... Boy, I am glad they do, it shows they are not simply throwing in new code, and development follows a plan.

... Which doesn't mean the plan is right, or that they have the necessary manpower. I do believe that they might be short in personnel, and I hope the new engineer they're looking for is hired soon, so that they can hopefully speed up development, keep up with the demand and improve QA as well. And, we have to keep demanding that bugs are fixed, new features are implemented etc. -- after all, we need that the hardware we bought from them works fine with the software we use. I just think that "plain bashing" won't get us nowhere, and most likely is unfair with NVIDIA engineers who are working hard on Linux drivers.

(I am by no means affiliated to NVIDIA, and I am not speaking for anyone that works there. These are just my $0.02)

Best,

Andre
brblueser is offline   Reply With Quote