Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-17-03, 08:17 AM   #1
tthornbr

Send a message via Yahoo to tthornbr
Cool 2 stupid questions (twinview+RH8+GDM)?

Sorry if these are self evident, but after going through the README and trying a few options, I am still wondering on how to do the following:

1) I want to setup Screen0 (19'') as 1280x1024 and to the right is Screen1 (17") as 1024x768, but I WANT there to be dead space at the top of Screen0, so essentially the background will be seemless on the bottom and go up the screens in the same proportion (approx). Don't want to pan, just want there to be unavailable virtual screen space above Screen1.

2) How do I switch between metamodes? Is there some kind of key sequence that I can use?

I can live with splash screens coming up across the two monitors if I can get the proportions of the two screens roughly the same.

Thanks.

-Tim
tthornbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 09:44 AM   #2
bwkaz

Maybe you can use panning domains for #1? Or is that one of the things you've tried? Maybe you could scale the background up (so that it's really 1024 pixels tall), then shrink the screen down using the monitor controls? Dunno how well that'd work, though...

You switch between metamodes the same way you would switch between normal modes: with Ctrl-Alt-NumpadPlus and Ctrl-Alt-NumpadMinus.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-03, 11:29 PM   #3
tthornbr

Send a message via Yahoo to tthornbr

Thanks for the help... Turns out that GDM doesnt seem to handle the twinview options very well.... Anyway, I have resolved the problem with the following:

19in monitor (left) resolution now 1152x864 +0+0
17in monitor (right) resolution now 1024x768 +1152+96

this gives an almost matching screen density and the only drawback seems to be that sometimes screens get placed in the "dead zone". No problem to move though when necessary. I have also switched to KDE and it seems to handle Xinerama and TwinView quite well!

-Tim
tthornbr is offline   Reply With Quote