Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-03, 06:42 PM   #1
tom2

Default No chance for 'rpmbuild --rebuild ...'?

Hello here,

cause i had no chance to enable 'dma' for 'RedHat 8.0' to see 'dvd-films' or hear music from 'cd' (also i had tried to modify '/modules.conf' and 'hdparm' or '.../sysconfig/harddisks') i was lucky by finding "RedHat-beta-phoebe". But in this version 'nvidia Ge Force 2 Go' (i don't remember exactly, which graphic card is built in) was listed during the installation. Only the thing is i need this special driver 'NVIDIA_kernel-3.1.2 rpm.src' and ' NVIDIA_GLX..', so when i try to install the '
*.src' 'Nvidia'-driver (like before : rpmbuild --rebuild ..) this message appeared in the 'gnome-terminal':

"install: cannot stat `NVdriver': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.10141 (%install)
RPM build errors:
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
group buildmeister does not exist - using root"
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
group buildmeister does not exist - using root
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.10141 (%install)
[root@rehdat8 makaveli]# cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/"
I have tested for all the required 'files'.

May be someone has found a way to install that drivers, (shipped through that messages) - for a little help i would be glad.

Best Regards

Thomas
tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-03, 08:28 PM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Did you install the kernel Source?? You can't rebuild the drivers (Or any other program for that matter) without the kernel source. In the RH install it's NOT installed by default. In RH8.0 in one of the menu's (Not sure which one off hand, I'm on a Windoze system at the moment), it will allow you to add extra programs to the system. You should see the kernel source in one of it's menu's. Just add that, then use the RH up2date to update it to the current kernel version. Once you have done that, the rebuild should run flawlessly.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 06:11 AM   #3
tom2

Default Re:

...thanks for response!
but i have installed the 'kernel-source' too.

Cheers

Thomas
Old 03-17-03, 08:39 AM   #4
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Which driver are you trying to install?? Is it the 31.23 drivers??
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 09:47 AM   #5
bwkaz

Hang on... are you using Phoebe?

If so, you can't use the drivers, at least not without a lot of feature-disabling. See this thread for how they got it to work, by patching the nVidia drivers so that they'll compile (some major kernel interfaces got changed in Phoebe's kernel, and they need to disable thread-local storage for the nVidia GLX drivers to not bring the machine to a crashing halt by trampling on certain x86 segment registers that aren't otherwise used).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 01:14 PM   #6
tom2

Default Re:

Thank you for answer!

My english is not the best - but i think and that is right i tried it on "RedHat-Phoebe" it's to 'heavy' for me to translate and to make! So i will go back to '8.0', where i can install these '1.0-3123.i386.rpm' driver from'nvidia'.
But if someone will find a 'simplier' way to install the driver from 'nvidia' for 'redhat.phoebe' i will be lucky to hear about it. (E-Mail:torump@netscape.net). I have changed to "Phoebe" because it was/ is impossible to enable 'DMA' to play 'dvd' music and film; (also when i add the line 'options ide-dma ..) to '../modules.conf' or activate the harddisks file) - gnome plays mad.

Cheers

Thomas Rump
Old 03-17-03, 05:07 PM   #7
bwkaz

There probably isn't a simpler way to do it. RedHat decided they wanted the latest bleeding-edge kernel features, and those bleeding-edge features conflict with nVidia's current assumptions in their driver. That's the basic problem.

What is the problem with Gnome when you enable DMA? Perhaps that would be easier to fix. Maybe.

You might also be able to find a newer version of Gnome that wouldn't have that problem... maybe. Of course, if the problem is a buggy IDE chipset, then nothing Gnome does is going to fix it, either, so yeah.
Old 03-18-03, 08:36 AM   #8
tom2

Default Re:

..thank's a lot for response.
I've also looked for a way to update 'gnome' by 'redhat' - but haven't found a simple way to download these couple of '*tar.gz-files' and to install them (all in the right way - for "RedHat 8.0")?

May be someone have 'practised' that 'path'!
For a little help i would be glad!

Thomas

Old 03-18-03, 11:55 AM   #9
bwkaz

Well, Gnome appears to be fairly complicated. There is one way to install v2.2 from source documented here (and recently published on Freshmeat as well):

http://www.karubik.de/gig/

But there are 97 packages you're going to need, in order to get a usable Gnome development environment. Some of these you may already have (auto-anything, m4, libtool, python, freetype2, pkgconfig, jade, gnupg, perhaps others) packages for, either already installed or on your RH CDs. Check through the list, and see what you already have (check versions too, though).

The others are going to need to be built from source, which is definitely a non-trivial thing to do.

Have you tried a search of rpmfind for new Gnome 2.2 RPMs that might work with RH 8.0?
Old 03-19-03, 05:08 AM   #10
tom2

Default Re:

Hello,

if i had not that diffculties by playing 'dvd' , where it is neccessary for to enable 'dma', with that line: "options ide-cd dma=1" in '/etc/modules.conf' - 'startx' will be ok.
But with that 'line' in '/modules.conf' 'gnome' don''t find the panel, or the 'redhat-logo' don't disappear on the screen and the icons where disappeared - don't ask me how it 'hangs' together.

So i try 'Garnome'...

Thanks for your answer.

Thomas