Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-03, 10:54 PM   #1
helpmeplease

Default Computer reboots itself

Summary: I'm using Redhat 7.3. Precompiled drivers work. Precompiled drivers are not available for current kernels. Therefore I must compile my own. Any driver that I compile results in the machine rebooting itself when I type 'startx'. There is no error and nothing in the system log, presumably because it reboots before the logger has a chance to record anything.

I have tried 5 different Redhat kernels, including one I compiled myself. I have tried 2 different versions of GCC. 3 different versions of the Nvidia drivers. I have tried RPMs and tars. All are the same: precompiled work, self-compiled do not.

Please help!

Last edited by helpmeplease; 03-18-03 at 10:58 PM.
helpmeplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-03, 11:02 PM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Download the SRC's (The script is based on the 4191 version of drivers) and run the script I have attached. You will need to change two of the lines to reflect the following. (As I run RH8.0 and the syntax is different)

rmpbuild --rebuild NVIDIA....

to

rpm --rebuild Nvidia.

You will need to rename the file and set the permissions as follows:-

mv nvupdt.txt nvupdt
chmod 755 nvupdt

Give that a go... Good Luck..

Just a note for those who use this script. You will still have to modify your XF86Config(-4) file manually. This script will not do that for you yet. (I'm working on providing an ability to do that when I check on some possibilities on the best way of doing that.)
As it was intended to be run, when one installs a new kernel version. And you will need to BOOT into the new kernel BEFORE running this script.

Wolf
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvupdt.txt (776 Bytes, 151 views)

Last edited by Wolfman [TWP]; 03-20-03 at 10:11 PM.
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 06:54 AM   #3
helpmeplease

Sorry, I have already done everything in that script. The compilation and install complete fine with no errors. It just doesnt work when I try to run X.
helpmeplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 09:03 AM   #4
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Then it could sound like you have not removed the DRI entries in your XF86Config(-4) file. If that's not the case, then I don't know what else to suggest. Possibly replace the video card with another and see what happens then. (I have no other ideas, But if I do I'll let you know)

I'm also running a RH7.3 box, with a MSI GF3 Ti 200 card. And it runs very well. I've had no problems, regardless of the different kernel updates. (And I didn't have the script at the time to automate it, like I do now.)

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote