Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-03, 12:38 AM   #1
wsherwin

Default 4191 and 2.4.20 problem: OUT OF SCAN RANGE

I just upgraded my kernel to 2.4.20 and my driver to 4191 (I have a GeForce 4), and I have lost the ability to use my 11 ttys from the time I enter X until I reboot. Should I attempt to switch to a tty, I get the error:

OUT OF SCAN RANGE

When I switch back to X, everything is fine - that is, until I try to switch back to another tty or I exit X. The keyboard responds while not in X, but I can't see what I'm doing.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
William
wsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 08:10 AM   #2
bwkaz

Are you using a high-res framebuffer console?

If you aren't try it, and if you are, try not doing it.

To do it, configure your kernel (when you build it -- you might need to rebuild it, actually...) so that under "Console drivers" (this is in xconfig or menuconfig), "VGA text console" and "Video mode selection support" are enabled, and also under "Framebuffer devices", enable "Support for framebuffer devices" and "VESA VGA graphics console".

You will have to have enabled "Prompt for experimental code and/or drivers" way back at the beginning, though, for the "support for FB devices" to show up.

Once you've made sure your kernel supports all that, then pass vga=ask to the kernel at boot time (through your bootloader), and the next time you boot it'll ask you which mode you want it to use. Pick the biggest one.

If you are currently using a framebuffer console, disable it (with vga=none) and see if that helps.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 08:58 AM   #3
wsherwin

Well, I tried your suggestion, and things are better (I can see text); however, the text on the ttys is shaking/looking like water ripples are running through it. Any ideas as to how to fix that?
Old 03-19-03, 11:43 AM   #4
bwkaz

Hmm... not really...

Are you using an FB console now? Which mode did you choose? (it's possible that backing off a little on the resolution, or matching it to your X resolution, might help.)
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 06:15 PM   #5
wsherwin

I am using a framebuffer console. I believe that the resolution was 138x60, but I don't know what those units are. The resolution that I use in X is 1024x768. Any help here would be appreciated, but thank you very much for your previous suggestion.

William