Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-30-06, 04:21 AM   #25
|MaguS|

Default Re: Best MMORPG/RPG For PvP?

Actually Wolfpack studios is dead, but many of the team went off and created Stray Bullet Games which is now a third party developer, unlike wolfpack which was owned by Ubisoft.

SBG will keep Shadowbane alive untill Ubisoft kills it. SBG does not own none of the IP or Copyrights that are tied to the game. They are basically keeping it alive to please the remaining 10 players.

Don't give me none of that carebear BS, if the game had such great PVP it wouldn't have failed so horribly. From day one it was plagued with problems and even know it suffers many horrible issues. The PVP system is boring and the world is just as boring. Its empty and just dull. Sure its pure PVP but when the game looks like dog **** and plays like it, The best PVP in the world cant save it.

The best PVP title is Lineage 2, It has Faction wars, a good PVE and a legit penalty system for griefers. The engine is stable enough for 500+ player wars and castle sieges.
Old 05-30-06, 06:45 PM   #26
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
Saddly both WoW and GW have the stupid logic that all melee should get a sprint type ability as well as "snares", both wich are generaly unremoveable by spells/damage because they are non-magic, and at the same time the caster dosnt have sprint (or its unusable after snare) and HIS method of snare is broken by some type of damage.
This doesn't make any sense. If a warrior in WoW didn't have charge or intercept he would never win any fight against a cloth wearer. Frost nova, deathcoil, root, concussive shot, scatter shot, fear, you name it the warrior would be a joke to pvp and his ONLY roll would be a meat shield for the cloth wearers to get urber gear to tear the warrior down even more.

The balance is very logical. Play a warrior in WoW (if you haven't) and you see what I mean. I have a 60 warrior 60 hunter a 50 mage and soon to be 60 rogue. The warrior is the hardest of all of them to play. Armor does not defend against magic. A warrior's only defence against magic is his high HP total for tanking or should that be nurfed as well? If so then you throw the whole game out of balance and then druids become the MT.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 03:47 PM   #27
NoiR
Black Sheep

Hmm, if you're willing to wait a little bit (til end of 2006, i think) , you should take a closer look at Warhammer Online - looks like a really nice game.
NoiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-06, 02:57 AM   #28
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
This doesn't make any sense. If a warrior in WoW didn't have charge or intercept he would never win any fight against a cloth wearer. Frost nova, deathcoil, root, concussive shot, scatter shot, fear, you name it the warrior would be a joke to pvp and his ONLY roll would be a meat shield for the cloth wearers to get urber gear to tear the warrior down even more.

The balance is very logical. Play a warrior in WoW (if you haven't) and you see what I mean. I have a 60 warrior 60 hunter a 50 mage and soon to be 60 rogue. The warrior is the hardest of all of them to play. Armor does not defend against magic. A warrior's only defence against magic is his high HP total for tanking or should that be nurfed as well? If so then you throw the whole game out of balance and then druids become the MT.
QFT

I think most people who complain about Warriors are simply not used to how fast they can move in (Charge/Intercept) then go to town beating the snot out of you - and get overwhelmed.
Old 06-21-06, 06:27 PM   #29
killahsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Actually Wolfpack studios is dead, but many of the team went off and created Stray Bullet Games which is now a third party developer, unlike wolfpack which was owned by Ubisoft.

SBG will keep Shadowbane alive untill Ubisoft kills it. SBG does not own none of the IP or Copyrights that are tied to the game. They are basically keeping it alive to please the remaining 10 players.

Don't give me none of that carebear BS, if the game had such great PVP it wouldn't have failed so horribly. From day one it was plagued with problems and even know it suffers many horrible issues. The PVP system is boring and the world is just as boring. Its empty and just dull. Sure its pure PVP but when the game looks like dog **** and plays like it, The best PVP in the world cant save it.

The best PVP title is Lineage 2, It has Faction wars, a good PVE and a legit penalty system for griefers. The engine is stable enough for 500+ player wars and castle sieges.

Lineage 2 has the worst pvp of the genre. Oh yes and my clan was the 3rd(and 1st on our server) of all the lineage 2 servers to take over giran. We played all beta's and the retail version up until chronicle 2. It is the worst pvp game of the mmo genre with the most 'pvp' if you can call it that. There is NO pvp, there is only grief wars, done by manipulating the anti grief system, and castle sieges are laughable, albeit entertaining the first few times. In fact I would have to say the best pvp games have to be between daoc a game in which i have never played and uo a game in which i did play.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 11:07 AM   #30
StoNer
Ubër Baked

I have a buddy who plays L2, he showed me some FRAPS videos of him and his guild pvping.

From what I saw, alot of confusion alot of running around etc.

Why?

Becuase it was a huge siege on a castle! The little dwarves had war golems! And he said his guild gets tons of Adena (ingame currency) just for holding that castle they took in the video.

Freakin sweet if u ask me. I get my pvp jollies from CS:S and BF2 so I wouldnt join a MMO just for awesome pvp action. But if thats your thing id say L2 is your best bet.

BTW its a pain in the ass to level to high high level in L2 so if you dont like working for your character play somethin else like GuildWars or something.
[Display Dell S2309W 23", Samsung 933HD+ 18.5" on NeoFlex LCD Arms]

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
StoNer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 08:03 AM   #31
killahsin

As i stated i have owned castles in l2. Castle seiging is the only pvp in l2, and its all prescheduled. The way you make free adena is based on crystals more then anything else. Controlling the crystal market makes you free adena. the money you get from taxes isn't all that. But pvp as a whole in l2 sucks. Yes l2 has hard grind levels, but i skillcapped my char fairly easily, just based on farming sp for leveling up the clan. The hardest part of l2 is attaining gear. Everything else including leveling and sieging is cake. To fully outfit your clan properlly in l2, takes rotating shifts of work schedules heh.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 08:22 AM   #32
K007

WoW PvP Blows.

- Honor System is gay
- World PvP is pretty much dead thanks to BGs
- PvP Gear rewarded items are not as effective as those attained through PvE...apart from maybe 1 or 2 items, (even with the lateast patch though i they took the right direction but only made T2 Armor update while T1 PvP Armor was asked to regrind).
- PvE Items > PvP Items in PvP...
- BG Queues. 20-30 mins on Blackrock for Horde.
- Blizzard dosen't PvP. There PvE team balances the PvP..and they have no ****ing clue.
- To attain anything above Rank 12 will need you to play 20-24 hours a day, no sleep, no break, no leaving the computer, for 2-3 months.
- If your grinding the Honor System, and you just happend to miss PvP like 1 or 2 days of the 7 day update time..you most probably will decay.

WoW is a PvE game with a really ****ty PvP system. 1.12 is going to bring cross realm PvP BG's, this is nice..but they still haven't fixed the major problem in the game..and thats the Honor System.

I have done a caster Warlock to Rank 13, and decided the Rank 14 rewards are much better as a Warrior than a caster. If i did get Rank 14 on my Warlock before..i would be pissed after 1.11 patch because i cannot get the much needed (blizzard admits to it) caster items that was added. They want players to maintain Rank 14...Even though i did get rank 14 on my warrior i was so pissed that i uninstalled the game/destroyed the discs and threw it in the bin..its the one thing i eva did right in a very long time =).

Maintain Rank 14 my ass...someone who got Rank 14 two months ago is no different to than someone who got rank 14 after 1.11..yet they reward those who didnt get rank 14 first on there server...i mean..20-24 hours a day..i went 3-4 days no sleep at one point near the end of my grind to get rank 14..and they spat on the ex-rank 14 face..

They should fix honor system before they try to add new things to the game because in terms of PvP..the game is really ****...but hey all the new **** they add for PvE players like the AD / CC rep related resistance items wont need them to regrind the rep from the start.its there from the vendor..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-06, 01:35 PM   #33
MOTÖRHEAD

Well you will be hard pressed to find one IMHO that is like Diablo. IMHO if you really want some "Hardcore" pvp look at EveOnline. Sure it'll take you 2-3 months to finally finish training all your skills on your character but trust me the PVP in EvEOnline is very hardcore.

There is nothing like taking that new Battleship you just dropped a few hundred million isk's on into 0.0 space and watching it get blown up and then having your character be pod'd. You want a game with "Hardcore" PvP then EveOnline is that game. The only problem with EvEOnline is that A.) To develop a well rounded character it takes a good amount of time, planning and investigation on your part and B.) There isn't much to do other then mining, or mission running while you wait for PvP skills to train. You can run trade routes but again if you don't have the right skills trained to defend that nice cargo hauler of yours you are going to be free fish for someone eventually. The same could be said about mining in 0.0 space. In fact anything having to do with you going into 0.0-0.5 space will require you to be able to defend yourself against other players or NPC pirates/rats.

If you decide to give EvE a shot make sure you get into a good noob friendly corporation because it makes a ton of difference. EvE is a game that rewards people for being social. Also make sure to visit the forums and to read the noob FAQ's. EveOnline is a very deep game and learning the basics is a must if you want to survive in 0.0 space once you get there.

If I could sum up EveOnline in one pharse I'd say.....

"In space no one can hear you scream."
MotherBoard: Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra
Memory: 2 Gigs RAM
Video Card: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 7900GT 512MB GDDR3 RAM
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Cdrom Model: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Cdrom Model: LITE-ON LTR-52246S
HardDrive Model: Maxtor 160GB Diamondmax Plus - 6Y160P0

Last edited by MOTÖRHEAD; 06-27-06 at 03:45 PM.
MOTÖRHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 01:49 PM   #34
MOTÖRHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007
WoW PvP Blows.

- Honor System is gay
- World PvP is pretty much dead thanks to BGs
- PvP Gear rewarded items are not as effective as those attained through PvE...apart from maybe 1 or 2 items, (even with the lateast patch though i they took the right direction but only made T2 Armor update while T1 PvP Armor was asked to regrind).
- PvE Items > PvP Items in PvP...
- BG Queues. 20-30 mins on Blackrock for Horde.
- Blizzard dosen't PvP. There PvE team balances the PvP..and they have no ****ing clue.
- To attain anything above Rank 12 will need you to play 20-24 hours a day, no sleep, no break, no leaving the computer, for 2-3 months.
- If your grinding the Honor System, and you just happend to miss PvP like 1 or 2 days of the 7 day update time..you most probably will decay.

WoW is a PvE game with a really ****ty PvP system. 1.12 is going to bring cross realm PvP BG's, this is nice..but they still haven't fixed the major problem in the game..and thats the Honor System.

I have done a caster Warlock to Rank 13, and decided the Rank 14 rewards are much better as a Warrior than a caster. If i did get Rank 14 on my Warlock before..i would be pissed after 1.11 patch because i cannot get the much needed (blizzard admits to it) caster items that was added. They want players to maintain Rank 14...Even though i did get rank 14 on my warrior i was so pissed that i uninstalled the game/destroyed the discs and threw it in the bin..its the one thing i eva did right in a very long time =).

Maintain Rank 14 my ass...someone who got Rank 14 two months ago is no different to than someone who got rank 14 after 1.11..yet they reward those who didnt get rank 14 first on there server...i mean..20-24 hours a day..i went 3-4 days no sleep at one point near the end of my grind to get rank 14..and they spat on the ex-rank 14 face..

They should fix honor system before they try to add new things to the game because in terms of PvP..the game is really ****...but hey all the new **** they add for PvE players like the AD / CC rep related resistance items wont need them to regrind the rep from the start.its there from the vendor..

I am sure you are eagerly awaiting WarHammer Online.
MotherBoard: Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra
Memory: 2 Gigs RAM
Video Card: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 7900GT 512MB GDDR3 RAM
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Cdrom Model: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Cdrom Model: LITE-ON LTR-52246S
HardDrive Model: Maxtor 160GB Diamondmax Plus - 6Y160P0
MOTÖRHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 02:38 PM   #35
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
Charge alone is ok, and since WoW is very good about not giving people to many sprint spells or abilities, once in melee range it can take some work to get out of it. Its the fact that charge can and is combo'd with hamstring so that there is 0 chance of escape for the 5 or so seconds a warrior with a high damage axe (dosnt even need to be a purple.. theres blues that will tear through tier 1) needs to own the caster.

Its not the charge.. its the snare that follows.
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 10:52 PM   #36
Tewky

In my personal experience the PvP in Asheron's Call was amazingly superior to any pvp from any other game i've played even with how old it is I prefer Asheron's Calls PvP AND PvE to any other MMO
Tewky is offline   Reply With Quote