Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-03, 10:32 AM   #25
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes

True dat.

But for the rest of us that do have an AMD processor, the nForce2 is a pretty good alternative, in some cases an even better choice than the Audigy (<-depends on the situation).

For my personal viewpoint, I'm not touching Creative products again. I've had two different Creative sound cards, and had nothing but troubles with them. The worst part was that Creative seems ever willing to charge me for software updates beyond the buggy stuff on the original CD. (example: My first Creative sound card was the original Live!Value- It came with some nice goodies on the CD that I liked playing with / using for editing sounds to include in home videos, but the software was a bit buggy. Later drivers also added new features. Unfortunately for me, in order to get versions of the software that weren't buggy and that included support / used the latest features from the new drivers from Creative, I couldn't download it from their web site. I was forced to pay $10 shipping for a CD. $10 shipping for a CD via UPS ground?!? wtf.. bs. Then there was the fact that the newer EAX2 supporting drivers suddenly caused instability in my system, along with breaking up of the audio during gameplay. EAX1 was vastly inferior, but it was either live with it, or live with crashes.. )

Uh, anyway. I'm glad some of you are having good luck with your cards. I just won't personally own one again, especially now that I've got something that will actually encode all my 3D sound into DD5.1, eliminating several cables and connections from my setup.

And to return to the topic, it'd be great to see some screenshots of some of the games that the whole two of you with the GFFX now are playing.
Old 03-21-03, 10:43 AM   #26
SavagePaladin
info*****

It does indeed seem to be an often ignored fact that one avoids anyone they've had significant problems with.

'Audigy 3 is perfect!' in the future would never matter to someone who got burned horribly by the Live or audigy 1...they still have that bad memory.

I see that with ATI too, though not as much anymore.

(return to the topic? what? you can DO that? )
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-03, 03:22 PM   #27
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
I see that with ATI too, though not as much anymore.

(return to the topic? what? you can DO that? )
I can try.

The big difference between the ATI situation and the Creative situation, imo, has more to do with the perception that Creative knew they were providing shoddy crap, didn't care because they had the market cornered (or at least until true competition came along), and was totally unresponsive to the end user, basically saying- 'If you want hardware that does what we promised you properly, you'll have to pay for it", either by buying new software, or in some cases, by buying a totally new replacement product.

ATI simply had poor drivers with good hardware, and has done an amazing job of improving themselves since then.

BTW, this is also why I didn't (and wouldn't have) bought a GF-FX this time around, and if they continue on their current track, why I may never go back, regardless of what they're making- nVidia's recent tactics have largely been misleading (almost to the point of outright lies), both concerning the card's capabilities, as well as to how it stacks up to the competition. I wouldn't mind so much that it barely keeps up with or beats the 9700Pro in the situations I use it in, nor would I probably mind the overly loud fan (in my case, the fans I have are already probably loud enough that I might not even notice the FXFlow noise, lol). But I definitely mind being constantly lied to about what the hardware is capable of and strung along for a ridiculously long time, while they attempt subtle (usually, sometimes not so subtle) smearing of the competition, about-faces on their stance of how to guage the performance of their products, etc. (3DMark used to be highly endorsed and supported, but now that the nVidia product doesn't shine so well in the tool, it's crud? )

Be that as it may, I've had enough good experiences with their hardware that, assuming they shape up the PR side of the house, and assuming that their future hardware is up to snuff once more, I'd still consider buying it. ATI has just gained enough ground that I'll also seriously consider their product at the same time.

Um, so where are those pics, you two?
Old 03-21-03, 09:32 PM   #28
SavagePaladin
info*****

This 3dmark thing is a joke, and its been taken far out of proportion from the original statements IMO.

I don't care about 3dmark2003, its a pissing contest (this one more than most, currently)

I don't remember where they 'lied, if it had something to do with the NV30 vs R9700pro, then it may be a driver thing or it may have been the redesign that screwed it.

Oh and by the way, see ATI interview at gamersdepot. There were at least three stupid claims in that one (like R9700pro doing full floating point 128 bit precision instead of NVs choice of either. Yeah, at 96 bit accuracy. Are they trying to impress me?)

All the smack talk going around is getting WAY out of hand.
Old 03-21-03, 09:54 PM   #29
emailthatguy

i agree. i wanted a new card. i got one. but as far as business goes, i dont like either nvidia or ati. they both make good cards, and theyre both dishonest as hell. ati needs to quit spending money on 30 pr guys and so does nvdia.

stfu and just make your damn cards.

at this point, if a 3rd name were to ever enter the market id jump ship from both ati or nvidia.

honestly, i want the days back when it was s3, intel, 3dfx, nvidia, ati, and kyro.

that was probobly the best time in history to be into 3d hardware.

Last edited by emailthatguy; 03-21-03 at 09:58 PM.
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-03, 10:20 PM   #30
fastguy94416
The Shadow

Um... Hercules Game Theater XP?

*Ducks and covers*
NEC ND-3540a Toshiba 16x DVD ROM
Dell 1905fp Windows XP Pro
fastguy94416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-03, 08:48 AM   #31
SnakeEyes

The Hercules GTXP was the first product I saw that I considered worthy of competition for Creative's audio monopoly, and it's the one I bought when I finally said, "Enough is enough!"

I don't regret that purchase either. Believe it or not, if I'd had a set of speakers that let me hook up at least 6 channels of analog (5.1, really), or even the 8 (7.1) that the Hercules can do, I'd probably still be using it instead of having decided on the nForce2 audio solution instead. (I'm not saying I don't like my nForce2 better, just that I probably would never have tried it to find out whether it's better or not, since my Herc was working pdg.)
Old 03-22-03, 09:03 AM   #32
SavagePaladin
info*****

I always wanted an Acoustic Edge to replace my Live!, and I loved it when I finally got it

Then I got my nforce. I was thinking about putting the AE in it, but I never really bothered...I got the dolby digital speakers and WOW

I also LOVE how every driver set is a very nice improvement, even if they do seem to introduce a few bugs that leave some people really annoyed too often

I should go find the 1.05 set and get it on here, a comparison for cheap amusement. (I started at 1.05)