Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-06, 04:04 AM   #1
Sipi

Default Slow performance with GeForce 6100 on amd64

Hi!

Some days ago I bought a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9-RH motherboard. Socket 939, AMD64 3200+, nFoce 430 chipset and integrated GeForce 6100 GPU, which uses system memory. Memory is two 512MB Kingston in dual channel mode. It is a PCI Express mobo, does not have AGP port.

My problem is the extremely slow video performance. glxgears gives 1066 FPS (like my old GeForce 2 GTS).

My tests: first tried to get framebuffer support. I could make it with VESA fb driver and giving video=vesafb:mtrr=4 to kernel command line, so I got an MTRR set up correctly for this buffer. nvidia driver works with this fb set up (however when I try to run programs on character console which use fb, video output will disappear and have to reboot).

In Xorg (7.0) everything works well. There is no errors in log files, card was set up and configured. GLX and all other extensions used. I tried with compisite, render enabled/disabled, also played with allowglxwithcomp and other options. Tried to boot kernel with noapic, acpi=off, pci=noacpi options. No difference.

Tried quake4-demo. Awfully slow. Strange, that I tried with 1024x768 and 800x600, with different quality settings. If I set everything down, the card was slow, too. Looks like the card and driver works well, got beautiful effects, no corruptions, but it is always slow.

Also, if I play films with mplayer -vo xv, it is very slow. If I run xvinfo, machine completely locks up at the moment with blank or sometimes distorted screen. I have direct rendering on, glx extensions on, everything works and shiny, except frame rate...

Does someone got similar things? Or this integrated video card lacks speed and functionality? Right now looking television with tvtime is worst than with my old machine, since tvtime uses xvideo extension, and this is slow, too.

Best regards,
Sipi
Sipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 04:26 AM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Slow performance with GeForce 6100 on amd64

Sorry, you don't get any peformance out of entry level cards or integrated graphics. The below doesn't go down far enough to reach the 6100.

VGA comparison
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 04:31 AM   #3
Sipi

Holy God, it looks awful!

But... Right now this card performs like my old GeForce2 GTS on AGP port... Should be _so_ terrible? Also, XVideo performance is too few... It is strange to see tvtime: on old machine (gef2 and old Athlon 700MHz) CPU usage was almost 100%, but get nice picture. Right now CPU is maximum 15%, and picture is bad, low performance video gives artifacts in deinterlacing (while the processor is almost sleeping ).

Sipi
Old 07-10-06, 06:25 AM   #4
Sipi

Well, I see this card is not too fast. No problem.

Problem is with xvideo extension. As I read in the forum, it uses now other method, not old overlay. Two problem occures:

- tvtime play with tons of artifacts, lines, bad motion compensation. It is the same effect when it has not enough CPU power for deinterlacing. I know CPU is enough, so maybe the xv is slow for it.
- when I run xvinfo, system immediatley freeze. So I can not see which modes are OK, what xv port to use.

I found nothing on the net about xvinfo lock. Looks like everybody has working xvinfo, except me.

Sipi
Old 07-10-06, 11:49 PM   #5
whig
550Ti

I don't know about xvideo... your best bet is to submit a new topic with a good title about this next issue.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote