Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-06, 06:35 PM   #1
lnxtech

Default Geforce Go 6150 Framebuffer corruption

I just got one the new HP dv2000z laptops with the turion X2 running 64-Bit Gentoo.

I compiled my kernel with framebuffer support and boot with the kernel arg vga=792 (This sets the framebuffer to 1024x768).

My problem is that once I load Xorg (which is using the latest nvidia kernel and glx drivers) the framebuffer seems to get corrupted. When I use the Ctrl+Alt+Fn keys to go back to the console the console text "Jumps" around and I see all sorts of lines through the entire screen show up and then disapear. This however is better then when I was using the older version of the driver were once I left Xorg the console only showed a bunch of diffrent colored squares and garbled text that could not be read.

If I change my xorg.conf to use the vesa driver instead this corruption does not happen and also if I change my boot settings to not load the framebuffer then I can use the nvidia driverrs with no problems, however I don't want to do either of those options since I would like to keep my 3d and my framebuffer.

Any ideas of what I could do to fix this?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (68.6 KB, 131 views)
lnxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 10:35 AM   #2
kenyee

Default Re: Geforce Go 6150 Framebuffer corruption

hmmm...if you had an Asus CSM motherboard, I would have told you to check the northbridge heatsink.
Try a live distro like Kanotix to see if you can get it to happen on that. If so, I'd suspect bad hardware.

BTW, how do you like the dv2000z? I wish they had put a faster Geforce Go processor in it, but it has all the specs I've been looking for in my next laptop. This review seems to think it's a touch slow but I'm not sure if it's because of the slower processor or smaller cache:
http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...iew=HP+dv2000z
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 02:35 PM   #3
lnxtech

Thanks for the response.

When I first got the laptop and was using an older Nvidia driver (I think it was 8178) when I went to the console I would get a bunch of colored squares covering the entire screen, once I realized I was using older drivers and updated to 8762 the console was not as badly corrupted (The colored squares were gone and I could actually ready the text on the screen, it just moved around a little) So it seems that the updated driver helped out although not all the way so my hope is that it's just an issue with the current nvidia glx driver and will get fixed eventually.

As far as the laptop goes itselef... I love this thing. It's pretty light and damn sexy with the glossy black lid and the ethched in wavy lines. The laptop may be slower than the Intel Dual Cores but I'm a huge fan of running 64-bit Linux which is one of the reasons I choose to go AMD. I agree it would be nice if it had a faster graphics card but I get 1000 fps with glxgears (I know it's not the best test) but it's plenty of 3D to show off my fancy OpenGL screensavers and what not. As far as the laptop being slow I'm running Gentoo 2006.0 and my compile times were fantastic. I don't do a lot of processor intensive work so overall this laptop is everything I wanted.

The only major problems I had setting up this laptop is
1. The webcam does not work yet.
2. The wireless does not work yet (I'm running 64-bit and their are no 64-bit drivers for the wireless and because the wireless card is one of the first PCI-E laptop cards the native broadcom drivers for linux do not suppport it yet, however they are working on it so I it's only a matter of time)
3. I had to use a usb nic for the initial setup because the current gentoo livecd 2006.0 is running an older kernel (2.6.15) and the forcedeth nvidia drive does not work. The current kernel (2.6.17) however has the updated forcdeth driver which does worl.
lnxtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 02:42 PM   #4
Lethe

Two things to try - this solved it for me. I dunno what you would do if you do run a TV output...

In xorg.conf, add in 'screen' section:

# Nick 24/07/2004 - attempt to stop corruption exiting X
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"

and then have a read of this.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/25/307

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 08:28 PM   #5
kenyee

Given that the 6150 is used in a lot of HTPC mATX motherboards, I have a hard time believing drivers are the problem. I'd still suggest you burn a copy of Kanotix's live CD to see if it works there. If it does, it's something w/ your OS. If it doesn't work, take the CD to a store w/ a similarly configured laptop and give it a try there...if it works, your laptop has a hardware issue...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote