Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-14-06, 07:36 AM   #1
avaspell

Unhappy Component out produces garbled screen

I've been trying to get my HDTV set working with a GeForce 7300 with driver version 8762. TV is a mitsubishi WS-65909, which can do 1080i/540p, 480i, and 480p. During the whole process, I've run into 3 overall problems:

1. Setting TVStandard to HD1080i produces garbage on my screen. The highest mode that will work is 480p, and I can evidently only get to 800x600 with it. (720x480 at 16:9)

2. Every time I try to add in custom modelines to get 1080i to work, they are never picked up (Xorg.0.log show that there were no valid modelines for any of my custom modes).. It appears in later driver revs TV modes became fixed. Unfortuantely, the older drivers won't run my card.

3. There is no TVStandard setting for 540p. Evidently, many 1080i displays will display better if it has 540p data, and let the display convert it to 1080i. Regardless if this is true or not, there is no reason not to let people set it.

If anyone knows of something I can do (short of spending money on a VGA - Component transcoder), I'd surely appreciate it!

Last edited by avaspell; 07-14-06 at 10:41 AM.
avaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 10:57 AM   #2
avaspell

Default Re: Component out produces garbled screen

Bug report for those interested:
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (33.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 07-14-06, 12:26 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I have a few questions:
0) Are you able to capture the corruption in a screenshot?
1) Are you using a composite cable directly between the TV & videocard, with no intermediary converters or devices?
2) Have you tried using a component cable instead? I don't believe that composite cables are capable of doing much more than 800x600 without severe signal degradation (similar to what you're reporting).
3) Have you tried setting the TVStandard option?

With respect to your 2nd problem, the permitted TV modes have always been fixed, however this wasn't explicitly logged until recent drivers.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 12:38 PM   #4
avaspell

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Are you able to capture the corruption in a screenshot?
1) Are you using a composite cable directly between the TV & videocard, with no intermediary converters or devices?
2) Have you tried using a component cable instead? I don't believe that composite cables are capable of doing much more than 800x600 without severe signal degradation (similar to what you're reporting).
3) Have you tried setting the TVStandard option?

With respect to your 2nd problem, the permitted TV modes have always been fixed, however this wasn't explicitly logged until recent drivers.

Thanks,
Lonni
0) When I get back in front of the TV, what I can do is take a picture of the output and post that.

1) I am using the component output from the dongle. The TV input used to be connected to a DVD player, so I know the input is good. There are no devices inbetween.

3) I've tried several compinations of TVStandard, of which 480p and 480i have been the only ones to successfully work.

Do you happen to know what the parameters of the modeline that the driver selects for 1080i actually is? I'm curious as to wether that mode is attempting to refresh too high, or something like that.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-06, 12:44 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Actually, I explicitly wanted to know whether the corruption was present in a real screenshot, rather than a photo.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 12:19 PM   #6
avaspell

I figured it out. After talking with a couple of people, I found out that the inputs I was using only did 480p. Moving to the 1080i port did the trick, although there is still a bit of overscan on the picture (especially vertical).