Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-03, 12:01 PM   #25
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Good new news from Futuremark

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I like the duel scoring system with the official/un-official drivers, it'll give the best of both worlds.
I never realised there were 2 worlds

where is this other world that I have yet to be exposed to ?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-03, 12:46 PM   #26
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
their WHITEPAPER states this though solomon... the exact same sentiments...

it is not in their hands unfortunately what the reviewers are going to do when told to bench with specific drivers...

besides... this is hardly going to stop reviewers from using the particular drivers in question for benching... i doubt submitting results is a top priority... I have not personally seen too many compare links
Exactly, their whitepapers state this, but never "done anything" to show it. When they removed those individual driver sets. Their community blew up at them. With that, they are finally doing what their "white papers" said it should. I guess it was the, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentallity all this time.

I agree this won't stop "online reviewers", but for print magazines I believe it's a different story. I believe all the "Add-on manufacturers" as well use use the WHQL results or they have been. Not sure though.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-03, 01:21 PM   #27
Paul

Quote:
Originally posted by John Reynolds
JC also said that a year ago and considering his OpenGL stance that's certainly reasonable. However, a lot has changed in that past year:

1) ATi beat Nvidia to market with a DX9 part by over six months and have given quite a few 9700 boards to developers
2) ATi's drivers have continued to improve by quite a bit.

I still think it's fairly safe to say that Nvidia holds a plurality of developer support, though.
John uses an NV30 in his main work machine. So from that perspective, nothing has changed - nVidia are still used by some of the top developers as their primary development platform.
Old 03-26-03, 01:49 PM   #28
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
John uses an NV30 in his main work machine. So from that perspective, nothing has changed - nVidia are still used by some of the top developers as their primary development platform.
that doesnt mean anything most of those games play better on a r9700 .....
so who gives a ****?
Old 03-26-03, 02:15 PM   #29
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Actually there was a post on B3D made a few days ago by the 3Dmark pres or vice-pres hinting that they had planed to do this (remove/change all non-WHQL dirvers not just nV)....for what that is worth....

Errr never mind. I read the wrong quote and I was wrong
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-03, 08:09 PM   #30
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrrpoop
With FX it seems to be different tho - S.T.A.L.K.E.R is being dev'd on 9700pros as the dev's have to put in extra work on the FX. Seems to be similar to what JC reports with the FX needing its own path as it doesn't perform to its full potential on a generic path. The 9700pro does perform well on generic paths tho..
and yet nvidia is listed as a "Technical Partner" on the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R website....so actually I doubt that.
Old 03-27-03, 05:33 AM   #31
Grrrpoop
Wey aye man!

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
and yet nvidia is listed as a "Technical Partner" on the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R website....so actually I doubt that.
Just means nVidia work closely with them to supply driver updates and tech support, and supply any info they might need. IIRC they're getting help using Cg and implementing shader effects for stuff like rusted metal, should look v. nice. As long as the method they use isn't nV proprietary

Ask Doomtrooper for a copy of the email the Dev sent him.. I think he's got it printed and framed on his wall

That was a month ago or something.

Ok, found the thread here.

Quote:
Oles V. Shishkovtsov
Hi,

In fact, the graphics engine is developed on Radeon9700
We demand special support from FX driver guys, 'cause in pure/standart
DX9 it's impossible so run the engine on FX, at the moment.
Yes, FX will be slightly faster, but in the margin of several
percentages...

So, don't worry, your card will be excelent performer in
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

--
Best regards,
Oles V. Shishkovtsov
GSC-Game World
oles@gsc-game.kiev.ua

Monday, February 17, 2003, 7:05:06 PM, you wrote:

OVJ> This is a forwarded message
OVJ> Wrom: SQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTT
OVJ> To: "Oleg V . Javorsky" <oleg@gsc-game.kiev.ua> (GSC Game World)
OVJ> Date: Monday, February 17, 2003, 7:00:11 PM
OVJ> Subject: : Stalker Support
Old 03-27-03, 09:10 PM   #32
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by John Reynolds
JC also said that a year ago and considering his OpenGL stance that's certainly reasonable. However, a lot has changed in that past year:

1) ATi beat Nvidia to market with a DX9 part by over six months and have given quite a few 9700 boards to developers
2) ATi's drivers have continued to improve by quite a bit.

I still think it's fairly safe to say that Nvidia holds a plurality of developer support, though.
Yes, they have. But don't you note the game bugs that've popped up....DS 1024x768 with 4x FSAA was broken a bit back, Freelancer had stuttering, now apparently Shadowbane has issues...

Seriously, I'd do development on nVidia cards also seeing stuff like that.

I'm not saying the 9700 has bad drivers, I'm just saying that the first two of these issues I certainly would've run into.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote