Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-06, 01:55 PM   #1
Harnagel
Lurker

Default Forum killing Internet Explorer?

I recently put a fresh install of XP sp2 on my laptop at home with all the latest updates and I noticed the forum pages here will crash IE within one or to link clicks. I chalked it up to some type of memory problem untill I got to work and tried to browse the forum on one of our brand new computers and the exact same thing happened. This is the only site I have seen the problem on so far, so I'm starting to wonder if there's an incopatiblity with the forums here and one of the new MS updates or something. Anyone else seeing anything like this? I suppose the simple solution is to switch to Firefox, but I thought I would put this out there for informational purposes.
Harnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 01:57 PM   #2
OWA

Default Re: Forum killing Internet Explorer?

IE works fine for me.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 03:27 PM   #3
Harnagel
Lurker

Just a little addition. Most of the computers I use have no problems, just the two with fresh installs. I wonder if not having Flash installed might be doing this?
Harnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 03:45 PM   #4
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Firefox user but just tried IE and it worked fine.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 05:45 PM   #5
grey_1

IE v.6 with svc pk2 here, tried it and sure enough crashed on me. It's repeatable for me too. Good thing I use FF.
Old 07-18-06, 05:51 PM   #6
evilghost

If I had to guess either:

Intellitext or the Pricegrabber code.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 06:22 PM   #7
grey_1

Quick update - ie7 beta3 same deal. As a side note, this is also a new install of XP sp2, about 1.5 weeks old.
Old 07-18-06, 07:29 PM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

It could be Flash (or lack of) as mentioned before. Might try a standalone installer of the latest version.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-06, 07:46 PM   #9
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
It could be Flash (or lack of) as mentioned before. Might try a standalone installer of the latest version.
Thats what I did actually, disabled animations on web pages etc. I found I don't have to surf either. Just using nvnews forums as a home page, ie will crash after opening the browser and nothing else, takes about 30 seconds. Any other home page set it's fine.
Old 07-18-06, 09:13 PM   #10
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harnagel
I recently put a fresh install of XP sp2 on my laptop at home with all the latest updates and I noticed the forum pages here will crash IE within one or to link clicks. I chalked it up to some type of memory problem untill I got to work and tried to browse the forum on one of our brand new computers and the exact same thing happened. This is the only site I have seen the problem on so far, so I'm starting to wonder if there's an incopatiblity with the forums here and one of the new MS updates or something. Anyone else seeing anything like this? I suppose the simple solution is to switch to Firefox, but I thought I would put this out there for informational purposes.
This happened to me just two days ago. I'm thinking its Java but I don't know...it works now! It must be the 40 or so updates from MS...

EDIT: IE6 still crashes when clicking on a link...I just use FF or Opera primarily.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 05:28 AM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
It must be the 40 or so updates from MS...
I was thinking the same. This is my second install in the past 6 months, but the first time I've had that trouble.