Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-09-06, 09:50 PM   #1
The Bigman
Power User

Default Formatting effects previous os install

If i had a windows session and its drivers installed and wiped the drives with a regular format. I install a new OS and drivers, will my apps still retain settings from the old setup even if its wiped completely?
The Bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 11:43 PM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Formatting effects previous os install

Nope. It will be ALL gone. Nothing left. Wasted. BOOM Headshot.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 09:03 PM   #3
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger

Hahaha, BOOM Headshot.
Old 07-17-06, 04:50 AM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
LOL! yep
Old 07-17-06, 04:49 PM   #5
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Regular format is not the same thing as wiping the drive completely, so technically you shouldn't be using these terms interchangeably. Data can be recovered quite easily after a quick format, or even a full format. The same cannot be said about a wiped disk. Data that had been wiped using DoD compliant algorithm or greater will be near impossible to recover completely.

That said, it would still be somewhat difficult to recover data from a formatted drive, IF you had rewritten data over top of it. So the others that posted are still mostly correct. Settings won't be retained unless you specifically recover them using special recovery software.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 01:08 AM   #6
The Bigman
Power User

So when reloading OS and apps after a good format is fine and you won't find that apps are still keeping settings due to past installs on the drive?

I heard of someone doing this and found that his settings where still user defined and he did the full format vs the quick format with XP cd install.

It was weird because he thought he did a complete format which took a hour i believe, and something was weird but he found dll info from the previous install.
The Bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 05:32 AM   #7
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigman
So when reloading OS and apps after a good format is fine and you won't find that apps are still keeping settings due to past installs on the drive?
Correct.

When properly formatting the disk with NTFS there should be nothing other than NT File System existing on the disk. NTFS itself uses hidden files to keep track of file system information, but there shouldn't actually be any dll files left over from the previous Windows installation. If there is files left over on a newly formatted partition then something has gone wrong. I have never seen this personally. The only way I have seen old files on a freshly formatted partition is by using special recovery software to recover them.

Quote:
I heard of someone doing this and found that his settings where still user defined and he did the full format vs the quick format with XP cd install.
The only difference between quick format and full format is that full format checks the hard disk partition for bad sectors. The only reason to do full format is if you wish to try and verify the disk's integrity (its ability to read all sectors, a better tool is Spinrite by GRC which can actually verify both read & write integrity multiple times). Therefore, if you know the hard disk is good, a full format is totally unnecessary and a waste of time.

Neither Quick format nor Full format totally erase the contents of the partition. When Windows setup says "Caution! All data will be lost." most people think data will be gone forever. Thats not really the case. Sure it's lost, but that doesn't mean it can't be found again with data recovery tools.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

Last edited by rewt; 07-21-06 at 05:46 AM.
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote