Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-06, 05:11 AM   #1
olger901

Default Why don't you guys release the Technical Specs for Legacy GPU's

Hello all,

I have been a big nvidia fan since the days of Geforce 2 (had a Geforce 2MX, 3Ti, 4Ti 4200, 6800GT and currently a 7800GT) (Most of my motherboards are nforce aswell).

However I am wondering why you guys don't release the Technical Specs from the older legacy GPU's (like ATI did with their Radeon 9200 series). I am talking about the cards where you guys only release legacy GPU drivers for (and probaly won't make much profit out of anyway) meaning the TNT cards and the Geforce 2 cards.

This way you guys wouldn't have to put so much work in developping and maintaining the legacy drivers and this way we (the Opensource community) would be able to help you guys with writing new open source drivers for those cards, fixing bugs in those drivers, give the older GPU's modern drivers etc... which would allow the drivers to be simply and regularly updated, and causing people with older pc's to be able to use a modern linux kernel version (as not everyone has the money to buy a new pc every few years).

Now I know that big corporations like nvidia probaly won't take this opinion serious or into consideration, but I just want to let you guys know my humble opinion.

Regards,
Olger901
olger901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 05:24 AM   #2
Henning Rogge

Default Re: Why don't you guys release the Technical Specs for Legacy GPU's

See it this way... if they don't create legacy drivers for goddies like AIGLX or Vista, they force you to buy new graphics-cards to use this features.

Maybe this project will help, but they have still a long way to go:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
Henning Rogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 05:27 AM   #3
olger901

As I said, this is not a problem for me (I am running on a 7800GT), but for users that simply do not have the money to buy a new pc every few years (and some of these users will run linux as they can't afford windows either), this certainly would be a solution and trust me, there are alot of users that don't have the money to buy a new pc every few years.
olger901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 11:09 AM   #4
TPG
Unregistered User

I think this is a bit in this way:

"you don't have money so we don't care, and if you'll have them, then go and buy our newest product so we can take care of it"

This is why nvidia will never release specs of older gpu's.
Old 07-23-06, 02:05 PM   #5
hgb

I twill be very nice to have at less old specs ...
hgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 03:15 PM   #6
Thunderbird

Nvidia doesn't own the IP to big parts of their chips. This is one of the reasons why there are no specs. Another reason is likely related to competition of other manufacturers (ati/intel/...) as you basicly show the blueprints of your gpu. Though this isn't important for old GPUs.

Second even if nvidia released specs who would write the driver? Most people who ask about datasheets are not capable of writing a driver.

The nouveau project is hard at work on a nvidia driver. They used various information from the old opensource nvidia 3d driver, the current opensource nv 2d driver and other places. Based on this information they were able to write a gpu logging tool which they used to figure out the working of the 3d engine. For instance they write a small opengl program to write a triangle and then checked what 3d command the gpu sent using this way they collected lots of information.

Right now there's enough information to write a 3d driver for the geforcefx/6/7.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote