Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-06, 02:14 PM   #1
nishnvn

Default Black screen with FC5

I have a Geforce 6600 video card. I have two harddisk. On one I have old data and in the other I have installed FC5. I also installed the nvidia drivers. startx is failing. Atleast I am able to login in the text mode. I had to get some data from the other harddisk. instead of just mounting the same I just changed the boot order and made the older disk primary. Now while booting it doesn't even show the text. The screen is complete black. I tried disconnecting this hardisk so that booting will now happen from the newer disk having FC5 so that atleast I have the text screen but it did not help. Screen is still working fine as I tested the same with my laptop running windows. I donot know whether it is a card issue or driver issue.
How can I get back to the stage where atleast I get the text screen then I will try out other suggestions mentioned in forums here.

thanks,
nishant
nishnvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 05:13 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Black screen with FC5

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 06:45 AM   #3
nishnvn

as I have mentioned in my post, I get a completely black screen right from the time I boot the machine. I cannot see anything. I cannot type in anything. Once I get out of the black screen I might be able to generate the log. The screen says that the frequency is not optimum.

Regards,
Nishant
Old 07-26-06, 11:18 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You'll need to boot to runlevel 3 after experiencing this problem, and generate the bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-06, 03:03 AM   #5
nishnvn

thanks Lonni for answering.

I always used to login at level 3 ie text mode for me. After that I used to startx.

The problem I am facing now is that I am getting a blank screen right from the start. ie even while booting up it will not show any message. I cannot see any thing.

Earlier it was atleast showing text. I just changed the boot sequence of the harddisks (one having FC5 and the other having FC4). And now I donot even get text display. Since I cannot see anything I cannot revert the boot sequence. I tried unplugging the new harddisk so that it boots from the older harddisk but that didnot work.

Can you suggest anything that I can check? I have checked the cabling. I have checked the monitor and the brightness of the monitor etc.

Regards,
Nishant