Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-06, 08:39 PM   #1
Twist

Default Help Please.FC5 and 7600 Nvidia Card.

I bought a new machine for a school project.
It is an AMD64 X2 with 2gigs ram and 500 gig hard drive.
I am a gamer at heart but the machine is formated to be 100% linux.

I am slightly new to linux but I know enough to get around.. I can not figure out this driver issue. The released ones can be compiled but do not install, reports missing symbol. I followed the instructions on this forum to patch it and it failed. I even bought a 20.1 lcd for this machine so the vesa drivers are alright but not exactly taking advantage of the hardware. Please help me. I am currently using the xen0 kernel 2-6.15 but can boot with the none xen0 drivers when I want to do more graphics intensive work like Delta3d, OpenSceneGraph etc... but still will have to use the 2-6.15 because latest kernel is not compatible with the Nvidia motherboard... What the heck nvidia sure have caused me a lot of problems or probably more so linux than nvidia because I have always used nvidia on the windows side.... so frustrated over the last week with this machine.

Note: I had to edit the log so that it would upload, so if you wonder why it doesn't list all the available card named the driver supports or all the pic, or other useless scans thats why.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (97.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Twist; 07-28-06 at 08:49 PM.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 09:38 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Help Please.FC5 and 7600 Nvidia Card.

I'm not sure which instructions you say you've followed, however the kernel that you're using does not accept non-GPL'd symbols. Following the instructions here would fix that problem:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 10:43 PM   #3
Twist

Thanks for the reply..

The instruction that I followed are the ones posted about patching the nvidia driver for a missing symbol.

I have read the post you provided and the problem is, the latest linux kernel does not work on my machine. My machine has a nvidia raid motherboard so with latest kernel it loses my volumn drives and says kernel Panic! and locks up.

The kernel 2.6.15 is the highest that seems to be looking for me now.

Secondly, I have Selinux turned off so that should not be a problem.

Lastly, I admit I do not know what the purge command relates to.. I did a find / -name nvidia and found only 3 files two in kernel/........./video/drivers and the last just one of the files i downloaded... I uninstalled the glx rpm.

Any other suggestions, please
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 11:56 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The kernel that you're using will not work with the nvidia X driver. You either need to upgrade, or build your own.

-Lonni
Old 07-29-06, 09:53 AM   #5
ferox_2

Hi,

I am experiences similar problems with this patch.
I have an Asus laptop
Turion 64x2 (TL50)
RAM 2GB
chipset nForce
Nvidia GeForce 7600

I am running kubuntu with kernel 2.6.15-26-amd64-k8, and I followed all guidelines shown in

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72488
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

but when running nvidia-installer I receive this error:

... unable to find nvidia kernel module filename

Am I doing something wrong? Please help me, I need 3D acceleration for working as soon as possible.
Thanks,

Ferox

P.S. If I install the drivers using apt-get install nvidia-glx, everything works but I experience lack of stability, and I generally have freeze while using OpenGL. The only way to go on is to restart the machine.
ferox_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-06, 10:48 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

ferox_2, this thread is specific to FC5. Since you're not using FC5, I'd suggest starting a new thread, and including the driver installer log and/or nvidia-bug-report.log. I should note, however, that you're unlikely to see any difference in performance or stability regardless of where you obtain the same version of the driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 07-29-06, 11:07 AM   #7
ferox_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
ferox_2, this thread is specific to FC5. Since you're not using FC5, I'd suggest starting a new thread, and including the driver installer log and/or nvidia-bug-report.log. I should note, however, that you're unlikely to see any difference in performance or stability regardless of where you obtain the same version of the driver.

Thanks,
Lonni

Thank you very much for your reply, sorry if I was off-topic but I thought I was not.
I will follow your suggestion
ferox_2 is offline   Reply With Quote