Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-06, 03:14 PM   #13
harishv

Default Re: Hardware acceleration for Linux?

Since YAST had taken me nowhere, I decided to do it the traditional way. Here is what I did :

1. As per the recommendations here http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...DME/index.html, I booted out of X and installed the latest X86-64 driver.

2. Wiped out my mplayer binaries and reconfigured/reinstalled using..
./configure --enable-xvmc
make; make install

3. Rebooted back into X & ran mplayer (as root)..
./mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc MPEG-2-HD-Clip

You guys were right, it needs that special codec
Now, I do see a bunch of xvmc messages & one of them being "xvmc accelerated MPEG-2".

But, the funny thing is "top" still shows a max CPU util of ~60% (basically no change in CPU usage at all)!! I think I'm still missing something.

Should I run /usr/bin/tiny-nvidia-installer?

Thanks again
HV
harishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 04:33 PM   #14
cdrw

tiny-nvidia-installer only installs nvidia driver (latest available), however if you already installed driver, then tiny-nvidia-installer will not help

I have suse 10.1 32-bit on laptop with GeForce Go 7400, running MPEG2 HD clips does not increase CPU load.

where did you get multimedia pack?
I would suggest packman from here:
http://packman.links2linux.org/
these are compiled for suse and do not have original opensuse limitations.
cdrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 04:38 PM   #15
harishv

Actually, I take it back. I was looking at only mplayer's CPU util under top & nothing else. I had totally ignored what X itself was consuming. After close observation, I notice that at places its reduced by 23%. Thanks a lot for all in assisting me here.

Also, I don't see any noticeable difference in video quality in the 720 60p clip that I am playing (bit rate is 45 Mbps).

Is there a better tool than top that gives the total CPU util (instead of breaking it down to each process)?
Old 08-03-06, 04:42 PM   #16
harishv

btw, don't know if it made a difference, but the 3rd time I reconfigured mplayer, I did use --with-xvmclib & gave it the complete path since I thought it needed the exact location of the library (which in my case was under /usr/X11R6/lib64) instead of the default (/usr/X11R6/lib).
Old 08-03-06, 07:01 PM   #17
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv
Actually, I take it back. I was looking at only mplayer's CPU util under top & nothing else. I had totally ignored what X itself was consuming. After close observation, I notice that at places its reduced by 23%. Thanks a lot for all in assisting me here.

Also, I don't see any noticeable difference in video quality in the 720 60p clip that I am playing (bit rate is 45 Mbps).

Is there a better tool than top that gives the total CPU util (instead of breaking it down to each process)?
Top does show total cpu usage.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 07:28 AM   #18
ubikdood

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv
Well, if you really want to check whether xvmc is working, the amount of CPU for mplayer's video output should be very low.
Check your mplayer status line. Notice the first two percentages : the first is the amount of CPU for video decoding, the second is the amount of CPU for video output.

When I play a 1920x1080 stream, the status is something like :
A:74406.8 V:74406.8 A-V: 0.014 ct: -0.673 440/417 24% 5% 0.5% 0 0 47%

(24% video decode, 5% video output)
ubikdood is offline   Reply With Quote