Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-06, 07:04 PM   #1
fuelrod

Default Firefox question

I've switched over to Firefox recently and I have one annoying problem. When I download any file to a shared folder on my machine and then try to access that same file (even after Firefox has been shutdown) from another computer I get a file in use message.

This comes into play alot when I download a demo of some sort to then try to copy the file over my home network to my sonís machine. I always have to make a copy of the file then access the copy. I never had this problem with explore. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 08-07-06, 08:20 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Firefox question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelrod
I've switched over to Firefox recently and I have one annoying problem. When I download any file to a shared folder on my machine and then try to access that same file (even after Firefox has been shutdown) from another computer I get a file in use message.

This comes into play alot when I download a demo of some sort to then try to copy the file over my home network to my sonís machine. I always have to make a copy of the file then access the copy. I never had this problem with explore. Does anyone know how to fix this?
It almost sounds like a permissions or file ownership problem. Have you checked that?
Old 08-07-06, 09:18 PM   #3
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Have you got the quite recent 1.5.0.6 update?

Not sure, but when you installed Fox, did you get the old "For all Users" or "Just for this computer" prompt ? .... just a hunch. Might be some security twoddle. Had that issues before when downloading an app form for some internet banking thing, would matter if I had money in my account. lol
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 11:11 PM   #4
fuelrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Have you got the quite recent 1.5.0.6 update?

Not sure, but when you installed Fox, did you get the old "For all Users" or "Just for this computer" prompt ? .... just a hunch. Might be some security twoddle. Had that issues before when downloading an app form for some internet banking thing, would matter if I had money in my account. lol
I reinstalled Firefox with the latest version and it didn't help. I've even installed portable Firefox on a USB memory stick, run it on a different computer and get the same problem. It seems to be a Firefox issue not a permissions thing. Firefox seems the be holding on to the file after it is downloaded even after Firefox is closed. The only thing that breaks the hold is if I rebooot the machine then the computer no longer thinks the file is in use.