Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: What driver do you use ?
I use the binary driver and use 3d acceleration. 90 67.67%
I use the binary driver but don't really need 3d acceleration. 14 10.53%
I use the free driver and actually "need" acceleration. 26 19.55%
I use the free driver and don't really need 3d acceleration. 3 2.26%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-06, 12:16 AM   #61
russofris

Default Re: Opinions on driver license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecos
Oh whats that, the driver license says your not allowed to reverse engineer anything (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html) , looks like were screwed, and stuck with waiting for nvidia to take forever to support us, even though we spend $270 for a card with their gpu.
No Reverse Engineering. Customer may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE, nor attempt in any other manner to obtain the source code.

Looking at that bit of the license, we're fine. We have no intention of reverse engineering the driver. We simply want to generate our own spec sheets. We don't want their driver. We want to write one of our own.

Frank
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 05:09 AM   #62
Thunderbird

The nouveau project is doing their reverse engineering the clean way. They write simple OpenGL apps and check what registers are programmed.

Further I don't know how legal the reverse engineering part of the license is. I think it is illegal in various countries but most companies add them just to scare people away.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 05:24 AM   #63
Zerko

Well, our lord and savior, RMS, is against all evil proprietary closed source attrocities that deprive us from our humane right to modify the code and share it world wide!

Seriosuly, who cares? It works, that's the important thing. You'd have to know that NVidia cannot open their source code for a variety of reason. IP, 3rd party agreements, trade secrets, ugly uncommented code ..etc

Douglas Adams
Zerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 05:56 AM   #64
Henning Rogge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerko
Seriosuly, who cares? It works, that's the important thing.
The problem is it doesn't work very well...

and it will be a problem with anyone with an old nvidia card. both 7xxx and 8xxx driver series is incompatible with the 7.1 generation of XOrg... the 9xxx generation will be compatible, but most older cards have only "legacy drivers" (7xxx)... do you think nvidia will create a 9xxx driver for the legacy cards or will modifiy the 7xxx drivers for xorg 7.1 ?

Quote:
You'd have to know that NVidia cannot open their source code for a variety of reason. IP, 3rd party agreements, trade secrets, ugly uncommented code ..etc
Please tell me a single logical reason except "we like to stay in control" for nvidia why they cannot open source the interface definitions of their hardware. Just which registers you need to activate the features.
Henning Rogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 07:13 AM   #65
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Rogge
Please tell me a single logical reason except "we like to stay in control" for nvidia why they cannot open source the interface definitions of their hardware. Just which registers you need to activate the features.
Of course, "we like to stay in control" is all the reason they need

All this talk of "nVidia should open their drivers", "nVidia should publish hardware specs" is just futile bleating. The reality is, nVidia isn't doing either of those things so you might as well just accept it. Unless of course, you want to contribute to the efforts to produce an open driver. Are you doing anything constructive to help?

Personally, I'm not helping the open driver effort because 3D graphics programming and driver programming don't interest me. And because I'm not doing anything, I don't complain either
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 06:53 AM   #66
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami

well , just to respond to this :

"Seriosuly, who cares?"

maybe the people that made the software that you are using for free.

i would like nvidia to provide specs , but as to their driver , they can keep it closed if they want.

i just would like for open source to have a fair change
Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 11:10 PM   #67
russofris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
The nouveau project is doing their reverse engineering the clean way. They write simple OpenGL apps and check what registers are programmed.

Further I don't know how legal the reverse engineering part of the license is. I think it is illegal in various countries but most companies add them just to scare people away.
Nice looking project. I'll ping them and see if I can donate some $.

Frank
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 08:11 AM   #68
CoffeeBuzz

Yes, i'd say nvidia should open-source their drivers but with the "new" nouveau project, eventually its drivers will be more stable, have legacy support and probably out-perform nvidia's so I for one CAN hold my breath (and maybe donate some hardware and $$ and even some of my mediocre hardware programming skills).
CoffeeBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote