Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-03, 10:47 PM   #1
MacSlow

Send a message via ICQ to MacSlow Send a message via AIM to MacSlow Send a message via MSN to MacSlow
Default works on this box but not on the other...

Greetings everybody!

The new driver is nice and bad at the same time. It works for the P4/GeForce3Ti200/SIS-mobo box I have here. But it does not work for other machine (AthlonXP, GeForce4 Ti 4200, nForce2 mobo). Both worked flawlessly under 1.0-4191 before. I positively verified the installation of 1.0-4349 with the new nvidia-installer tool. I did only add the BusID option to my XF86Config-4 file. But that did not fix the problem for the Athlon box. When trying to start X11 on this box I only get a blank screen for every VT. Selecting the VT (Ctrl-Alt-F7, usually displaying the X11-session) causes the power-led of my monitor to flash between green and yellow light. I can still ssh onto the machine or shut it down cleanly with Ctrl-Alt-Del. Does this strange behaviour ring any bells with anybody here? Because there are no errors reported in /var/log/XFree86.0.log I'm kind of clueless what to do in order to solve this problem.

Apart from that I'm happy that the 2D/GUI speed for 1.0-4349 got a bit better again. At least what I can tell from using the new driver on the P4/GeForce3Ti200 box.

Thanks in advance for your time and kind advice.

Best regards...

MacSlow
MacSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 11:45 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Please post logs, etc...

--andy
Old 04-01-03, 05:16 PM   #3
MacSlow

Send a message via ICQ to MacSlow Send a message via AIM to MacSlow Send a message via MSN to MacSlow
Default Yay it works now on my other box too!

Disableing these options:

Option "UseEdidFreqs" "1"
Option "UBB" "1"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, CRT"

in my XF86Config-4 fixed it. I'm not sure which one of them was the real troublemaker, since I commented them out all at once. My guess is UseEdidFreqs. Why I had UBB in it I cannot remember. Since I don't own a Quadro UBB is of no use afaik. The other two are left over from the time I had two CRTs attached to the card. But those don't hurt I think.

Ok, that's it. I just wanted to keep you updated on the way 1.0-4349 behaves if one doesn't take proper care of XF86Config-4. 1.0-4191 seems to be more robust in this aspect since it didn't "puke" due to those "wrong" options.

Best regards...

MacSlow
MacSlow is offline   Reply With Quote