Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-06, 03:38 AM   #1
deanmao

Default glxgears == BadWindow on quad xinerama

I finally have quad xinerama working, but in doing so, something must have broke and I can't quite figure out why it's broke, but the 3D acceleration doesn't work. Running glxinfo yields:

name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 145 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x1200002
Serial number of failed request: 21
Current serial number in output stream: 21

I don't know why this would be... I've checked "ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo" to make sure all the libraries were pointing to the proper nvidia GL libraries and it appears to be just fine. I didn't see anything useful in the nvidia-bug-report output log either... it shows that GLX and NV-GLX both load perfectly fine. I don't know why I'm getting that BadWindow error! I'm running pci=conf1, driver version 8762, kernel 2.6.17-smp, on debian unstable.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (23.8 KB, 117 views)
deanmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-06, 10:12 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: glxgears == BadWindow on quad xinerama

I have a few questions:
0) Does this only reproduce when both videocards are in use in X, or can you also reproduce it with a single display device?
1) Does this reproduce if you're not using the ConnectedMonitor option?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-06, 02:19 PM   #3
deanmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have a few questions:
0) Does this only reproduce when both videocards are in use in X, or can you also reproduce it with a single display device?
1) Does this reproduce if you're not using the ConnectedMonitor option?

Thanks,
Lonni
0) No problem exists on a single display device. I've attached the glxinfo log upon execution under a single display device using "glxinfo &> glxinfo_single_display.log"
1) I've tried commenting out the ConnectedMonitor option, but the error still occurs.
Attached Files
File Type: log glxinfo_single_display.log (10.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-02-06, 03:20 PM   #4
deanmao

Through experimentation, I discovered the issue, but didn't discover the solution... it seems that glxinfo will default to screen 0, display 0, which was originally my 7600GT PCIex card. When I changed screen 0 to point to my 5200FX PCI card in the ServerLayout section, glxinfo worked. However, if I try to use "glxinfo -display :0.1" it still doesn't work. Is OpenGL broken for the 7600GT card in xinerama mode?

Dean
Old 08-03-06, 11:58 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I believe what you're experiencing is an incompatibility between two different GPU families (NV3x & G7x), not a problem with OpenGL on the G73 GPU.

However, I'm not able to reproduce the problem you're reporting. I see the following warning at the end of the X log on my system:
(WW) NVIDIA(1): The GPU driving screen 1 is incompatible with the rest of the
(WW) NVIDIA(1): GPUs composing the desktop. OpenGL rendering will be
(WW) NVIDIA(1): disabled on screen 1.

That warning is the expected behavior, and is what you should be seeing as well, however I don't see it in the X log in your bug report. Can you verify that you do not have a warning like that in your X log when this problem is present?

Also, can you confirm whether this problem is also present with just two displays (one per videocard)? I expect that it would be.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-03-06, 07:40 PM   #6
deanmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I believe what you're experiencing is an incompatibility between two different GPU families (NV3x & G7x), not a problem with OpenGL on the G73 GPU.

However, I'm not able to reproduce the problem you're reporting. I see the following warning at the end of the X log on my system:

That warning is the expected behavior, and is what you should be seeing as well, however I don't see it in the X log in your bug report. Can you verify that you do not have a warning like that in your X log when this problem is present?

Also, can you confirm whether this problem is also present with just two displays (one per videocard)? I expect that it would be.

Thanks,
Lonni
Hi, I can confirm that the error message as you described also shows up in my log. The error only occurs when I use both video cards. If I use only either video card by itself, there are no issues.

Is there a way I can force the configuration to use my G7x opengl instead of the NV3x opengl? The G7x is just sooo much faster and would make little sense to use the pci card for driving opengl software. Is there a way to turn off glx on a per-card basis? I assume if I turn off glx on my 5200, it would allow me to use opengl on my 7600GT correct?
Old 08-03-06, 08:49 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid glx is on globally for the X server session. You could try running two X servers in parallel.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-03-06, 10:01 PM   #8
deanmao

Is there anyway to somehow make the primary display card have priority over the secondary display card? I don't care if I lose glx on my pci card... how does xorg decide to load glx for the 5200FX card anyway? I've tried swapping screen numbers for the two cards but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Old 08-04-06, 01:37 AM   #9
deanmao

I played around with this a bit more, it seems like the following ServerLayout produces the BadWindow error:
Screen 0 "Screen0" 80 1050
Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0

Whereas, the following actually enables glx on the faster video card, but unfortunately it inverts my display array:
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 1200

It seems like the initialization happens at 0,0 first, and it wouldn't matter which screen number is assigned. Which ever card is drawing the data at 0,0 becomes screen 0 and would also get the glx context. The reason the first example produces a BadWindow error is because it wants to use screen 0 to draw opengl objects, but screen 0 is at 80,1050 so the imaginary window would show up around -80,-1050 in screen 1. It would be nice if this server layout actually worked:
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" -80 -1200

but I'm guessing Xorg doesn't handle negative coordinates... and maybe the whole negative coordinates wouldn't matter because Xorg would still translate the positions so that -80,-1200 is actually 0,0.

All I want is glx enabled on the bottom two monitors which would require glx to be enabled on the lower screen, but Xorg seems to initialize screens based on their coordinates starting at the upper left corner so screen 0 will always be the pci card :-(.
Old 08-22-06, 04:28 PM   #10
MayorMcCheese

Smile Re: glxgears == BadWindow on quad xinerama

Thanks for this discussion. You helped me track down the problem I was having (same as yours). Luckily, I was able to just swap cables and move ownership of (0,0) so that the card I wanted took over.

Lonni, I was *not* getting:
Quote:
But I received the same errors when using glxinfo/glxgears, etc.

My setup is a PCIe Quadro FX 3450 with one 2560x1600 head and one 1200x1600 (1600x1200 with 'option rotate ccw'), and one PCI GeForce FX 5200 with 1200x1600 (again rotated).

I simply swapped the two side monitors so that the Quadro FX 3450 has the left and middle screens and the PCI card has the right screen.

OpenGL now works across the left and, more importantly, the center, screens. I've now got a 4960x1600 desktop that I can stretch (except ogl) and move windows across the entire thing. I'm quite pleased
MayorMcCheese is offline   Reply With Quote