Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-06, 01:40 PM   #1
kosmonavt

Default nvidia.ko fails to load

As far as i can see, module compiles successfully (but with some warnings), but fails to load because cannot find an nvidia card or cannot assign an irq to it. I've attached an installer log, please can anybody help me?
I have an Athlon64 processor, NVIDIA NForce 4 Ultra chipset, GeForce 6600GT graphics card. Installer recommend me to turn off Plug And Play OS setting in BIOS, but doing this doesn't improve the result.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (24.8 KB, 146 views)
kosmonavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 04:11 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia.ko fails to load

In the log I see:

NVRM: Can't find an IRQ for your NVIDIA card!
NVRM: Please check your BIOS settings.
NVRM: [Plug & Play OS] should be set to NO
NVRM: [Assign IRQ to VGA] should be set to YES
nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!

This isn't a driver problem, I'm afraid.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 04:02 AM   #3
kosmonavt

So what do you think can be a source of this problem? Standart nvidia driver comes with xorg 7.1 sources works fine. In Windows everything is also OK If this isn't a driver fault - then what is wrong? Maybe the Linux core sources (I have 2.6.16.18)? The only patch I've installed is vesa-tng-fb which enables framebuffer console during loading. I can disable it through kernel parameter and boot in standart text console, but nvidia.ko still fails to load.
kosmonavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 05:30 AM   #4
Thunderbird

As is clearly indicated in the error you post, check your bios settings for a pnp OS setting and disable it. That can get it working fine. The issue is that most likely the option is enabled and in that case the operating system should assign IRQs and memory addresses. In case of Linux that doesn't work well, Windows likes it a lot.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 06:35 AM   #5
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
As is clearly indicated in the error you post, check your bios settings for a pnp OS setting and disable it.
But as also clearly indicated in his original post, he already tried that!

Also check if there is a card in the slot right next to the video card, and if possible move that to another slot. Maybe it shares the IRQ?
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 07:38 AM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that just disabling the PnP option is insufficient, you also need to have the SBIOS assign an IRQ to the graphics card. In this case, no IRQ appears to be assigned.

With respect to interrupt sharing, please note that this is often unavoidable with today's hardware and no problem at all - provided the system and kernel level configuration is correct and that all drivers involved support it.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote