Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-06, 03:25 AM   #1
lennart

Default Bad, flashing pixels

Hi,

I get a really strange error: When using the 8762 drivers on my AMD64 system with a 6610XL, lots of pixels on my screen keep flashing green and red.
With the standard nv drivers from X.Org it works like a charm.

If you need any additional information I'll happily share them

Regards and thanks in advance,
Lennart
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (64.9 KB, 160 views)
lennart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 10:29 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Bad, flashing pixels

Are you sure this is a driver bug? If you are using an lcd screen such an issue can be caused by dead pixels.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 10:36 AM   #3
lennart

I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue since everything works fine with the opensource nv-driver. Even in Windows everything is displayed correctly.
Old 06-11-06, 09:23 AM   #4
lennart

I switched back to 32bit. Since I'm using Xorg7.1 right now, I get the ABI-Errors, but those can be worked around.
Still, I get these flashing pixels.

As I stated above, I don't think it is a graphics card or display issue - both devices operate fine with the standard "nv"-driver as well as with Windows.

Any ideas on this one?
Old 06-21-06, 10:03 AM   #5
lennart

It seems that the whole driver isn't working. Although X starts quite fine, I only get 200 fps with glxgears - no errors here, too.
The kernel module loads fine, at least there are no errors in dmesg.

I build a new bug-report, maybe anyone got any new ideas - I've run out of them.

[edit] Yeah, I know glxgears is not a benchmark, but I think I ought to get some higher framerates there.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (65.4 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-27-06, 12:50 PM   #6
lennart

I think, I "solved" this problem: When using a "DVI-D Single Link" cable, everything works fine. With my old "DVI-D Double Link" cable (which is not broken - works fine with windows and 2d/linux) the issues spoken of above appeared.

Is this DVI-D Single/Double Link issue known? Am I the only one encountering it? Did I miss something in the documentation?
Old 08-29-06, 08:04 AM   #7
bigsur2k4

Hi,

I've the same problem on a Toshiba Satellite M30 with Geforce FX Go5200.

I think it is a nvida-driver problem, because if I switch to the console (Shift+Alt+F1), the green points are gone and they are back if I switch to Xorg again. The flickering appears just on certain colors, e.g. in the blue bar of the headlines in this forum. It's like a cloud of green flashing pixels.
If I scroll the screen, the flashing pixels will scroll with it.

I've never seen that if I boot Windows XP, use the Linux-Console or the "nv-driver" with XOrg.

@lennart:
If I start supertux with OpenGL and close it, the green noise is gone and mostly appears again after wakeup from suspend.

EDIT: Forget about the supertux hint... It worked for about 5 minutes and now the green noise is back :-(

I'm using currently Debian Etch with a 2.6.17.11 Kernel an NVIDA-8774 but recognized this problem on earlier versions too.

Has anyone an idea what's going on here?

Greetings from Austria
Andreas

Last edited by bigsur2k4; 08-29-06 at 08:17 AM.
bigsur2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote