Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-06, 02:53 PM   #1
mwilliamson

Default tv-output problems

Hello,

I recently purchased a new motherboard, an Asus M2NPV-VM. This board has an nForce 4 chipset and a built-in Geforce 6 graphics card. It has a VGA, DVI, HDTV, S-VIDEO and COMPOSITE port. Ideally, I would like my TV to work through the HDTV (RGB) port, but I have been unable to find any information on how to set this up. So instead I have been trying to get the S-Video port to work. I can get it to work with the TV only, but I want the same display on both the TV and the monitor. I have attached the relavant files (xorg.conf renamed to xorg.conf.txt for this BB). If anyone could tell me how to get the HDTV ports working, or just the S-VIDEO I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

-- Michael.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (66.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (36.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.1 KB, 161 views)
mwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 07:46 PM   #2
fozner

Default Re: tv-output problems

errrm, ahh, this is just a guess, but it looks like you are playing with twinview but only have one device and one monitor defined in xorg.conf

Don't you need to define two devices and two monitors if you want simultaneous views? I don't know. Haven't played with it yet but I want to try it. Maybe this link will help:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors

Last edited by fozner; 09-09-06 at 09:06 PM.
fozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 09:27 PM   #3
mwilliamson

From what I understand, if you want to use Xinerama you need two device sections. If you want to use twin view then you should only have one device section.
Old 09-09-06, 11:57 PM   #4
fozner

What you're doing may need two devices defined (different formats going out on different plugs), something like what this guy did might work for you:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76032
fozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 02:57 AM   #5
isez2001

You don't need two devices defined to clone a screeen using TwinView. I think your configuration file is entirely correct, actually. To answer your first problem, I think all that is needed to use an RGB output is to set "TVOutFormat" to "COMPONENT".

The real problem here, though (as the last few lines of your log suggest), is with your hardware. Although the GeForce 6150 does support all of those output formats, it doesn't support all combinations of them. The 6150 only has one RAMDAC (digital/analog convertor), which means it can only generate one analog signal at a time. Since VGA and Component are both analog, you won't be able to use them both simultaneously. The only way to drive two displays at once with a 6150 is to use the digital (DVI) interface for one of them. You should be able to use DVI in combination with any of the other outputs without too much trouble.

If either of your displays had DVI or HDMI (closely related to DVI; needs a simple adapter) input options, you should be set.
isez2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 10:10 AM   #6
mwilliamson

Unfortunately I don't have a DVI connection. I do have one of these adapters from an ATI card:

http://shopati.ca/product.asp?sku=2538009

I was not able to get it to work though, in the log it detected my monitor and picked the correct resolution but nothing showed up on the display. Does the RGB output require the RAMDAC as well? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-10-06, 02:12 PM   #7
isez2001

Yes, the RGB is analog.

The adapter you are trying ti use is actually an anolog connection as well. There are two types of DVI connections: DVI-I, and DVI-D. Physically, they are nearly identical (maybe a few pins different, but not always), but DVI-I is capable of carrying either an analog or digital signal, while DVI-D is digital-only.

What the adapter you have does is take the analog signal from the DVI connector and "rewire" it to go through a VGA connector. This presents two problems for you: first, you still have the problem of trying to send two analog signals, which we already know won't work. Second, the 6150 (as I've seen it implemented, anyway) doesn't actually support DVI-I, so even as a single monitor your adapter wouldn't work.

If you'd like, I could suggest a few alternatives for connecting the TV, but they're all likely to involve investing in some new hardware.

Last edited by isez2001; 09-11-06 at 12:10 AM.
isez2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 10:57 PM   #8
forbobber

I was looking at getting that board too, so I remember reading the specs on it. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to, if this is the same board, as the products page says this "Note: DVI-D can not be converted to output RGB signal to CRT. " "Note: RGB and TV-Out can not be used simultaneously."
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...=3&l2=101&l3=0

Last edited by forbobber; 09-10-06 at 11:35 PM.
forbobber is offline   Reply With Quote