Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-06, 08:11 PM   #1
v_nvnews_net

Question Configuring a new machine

I'm overdue for a new computer. My desktop box is a P3/500 of 1997 vintage.

On my new desktop machine, I want to run 3 monitors (3 new LCD 19" displays at 1280x1024). ... With Linux. I have zero experience configuring XWindows. I've read the readme file for the Linux drivers, so, with a bit of work I think I can make it all work.

Now, the questions:
A 7600GT (Asus 7600GT silent) has 2 dual-DVI connectors, 256MB RAM. This would imply that it would drive 4 monitors. The amount of memory seems adaquate, given that a Quadro FX 1500 has the same memory. ... Will the Asus 7600GT do the job for me?

Would I configure the 3 monitors using Twinview such that I can drag a window from screen0 all the way thru to screen2?

Help me be confident that I'm not clueless before I plunk down some big bux.

Thanks much,
the critter known here as v_nvnews_net
v_nvnews_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 09:40 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Configuring a new machine

I think you're confusing dual link TMDS with the number of DVI connectors. The NVIDIA X driver supported two displays per GPU. All of the 7600GT cards that I've seen have a single GPU, which means you can drive two displays.

Also, Twinview drives two displays. Anything more than 2 and you need Xinerama and/or separate X screens.

Please see the NVIDIA driver README for more information.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 10:08 AM   #3
v_nvnews_net

Question Re: Configuring a new machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I think you're confusing dual link TMDS with the number of DVI connectors. The NVIDIA X driver supported two displays per GPU. All of the 7600GT cards that I've seen have a single GPU, which means you can drive two displays.

Also, Twinview drives two displays. Anything more than 2 and you need Xinerama and/or separate X screens.

Please see the NVIDIA driver README for more information.

Thanks,
Lonni
Thanks, Lonni.

OK, now I'm a bit confused.

The Asus 7600GT Silent has 2x Dual-Link DVI connectors, has 256MB RAM.
The PNY Quadro FX 1500 has 2x Dual-Link DVI connectors, has 256MB RAM, ... and supports 4 monitors by splitting the Dual-Link DVI via DMS-59 connector/splitter. ... What am I missing?

So, if one 7600GT only does 2 monitors (DMS-59, notwithstanding), then I could achieve my goal using 2x 7600GTs in an SLI MoBo, but without using the SLI feature.

How does performance of a Quadro FX 1500 compare to 2x 7600GTs?

In any case, my goal is 3 monitors in some combination of Twinview/Xinerama. What video hardware and nVidia driver features do I need to achieve this result?

I'm not ordinarily dense. I just cannot seem to find the information I need to decide. The local white-box dealer is clueless.

Thanks,
v_nvnews_net
Old 09-12-06, 11:35 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't see anything on PNY's website to indicate that any videocard with a single GPU can drive more than 2 displays.

If you want to drive more than 2 displays, you'll need two GPUs. You can certainly use two PCI-E videocards in a non-SLI X configuration to do that.

You should probably contact PNY if you have questions about the capabilities of their products.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-12-06, 02:04 PM   #5
v_nvnews_net

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I don't see anything on PNY's website to indicate that any videocard with a single GPU can drive more than 2 displays.

If you want to drive more than 2 displays, you'll need two GPUs. You can certainly use two PCI-E videocards in a non-SLI X configuration to do that.

You should probably contact PNY if you have questions about the capabilities of their products.

Thanks,
Lonni
Thanks again, Lonni.

Looks like it might be 2x Asus 7600GT Silent cards, not in SLI mode.

Checking the specs of the card on the Asus site, it says: max resolution 2048x1536. Do they mean total resolution for the card, or per monitor?

Thanks again for your help.
v_nvnews_net
Old 09-12-06, 02:16 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

That's typically the max resolution for a single CRT. You should ask Asus to be sure.

-Lonni