Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-06, 08:39 AM   #13
MayorofNewark

Wink Re: NFORCE Network drivers not working

I have SUSE10.0 and a GeForce mb. Herewith what worked for me. Very simple, once I sat and thought about it: -

The first thing is that it must be a boot from power off (ie, unplugged for at least 10 seconds) to remove whatever is set by XP that locks up the on-board network card.

Then, ensure that all Linux kernel updates have been applied prior to installing the NFORCE network and sound drivers from the NVIDIA file downloaded to root. Essential, because any kernel update wipes out the necessary associations requiring a re-install.

The default forcedeth driver is determined to cling on, so create the file nvnet in etc/modprobe.d with the lines alias forcedeth off and alias eth0 nvnet, and re-boot. Check forcedeth hasn't loaded (nvnet won't have loaded either, I suspect this problem is similar to that needing the power off boot after running Windows). Run modprobe nvnet and check that it is now loaded. Open the network devices GUI and manually configure network card configuration – advanced – hardware details - module name from forcedeth to nvnet.

Internet access will now be available and the system will consistently reboot from off or restart to these settings. It will aslo no longer need the power off boot.
MayorofNewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 11:01 AM   #14
feld

Default Re: NFORCE Network drivers not working

Please don't use nvidia's network drivers. Use the Forcedeth driver in the kernel. It's way better and for that reason nvidia stopped releasing their driver.

-Feld
feld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 01:25 PM   #15
MayorofNewark

Yes, but the forcedeth driver won't unlock the GeForce NForce networking device on a dual boot machine when changing from WXP to Linux, unless you do a complete power off including the 5 volts, by unplugging the PC.

The NForce driver has no problem with this.
Old 06-02-06, 02:09 AM   #16
iclou

Hi

I have a dual-boot desktop, WinXP and Suse10.
Reading your posts I am confused what I should do know.
Internet in win works but it does not in suse.

Shall I install the nVidia linux driver or not? If not, which alternative do I have?

--
Any help is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Sam
iclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 11:11 AM   #17
MayorofNewark

Smile Re: NFORCE Network drivers not working

The install I described above works fine for me. Suggest you give it a go. But first try the power off by pulling the plug as described then booting to Linux to confirm that your problem is the same.
Old 09-16-06, 08:58 AM   #18
MayorofNewark

Thumbs up Re: NFORCE Network drivers not working

Finally fixed it.

Downloaded and installed the recent patch from NVIDIA that gets forcedeth working, then installed a 10/100M PCI network card (Realtek RT8139) and disabled the motherboard network interface. Auto installed in XP and SUSE10.

Flips from XP to Linux and back, no probs.