Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-06, 05:37 AM   #1
ART_Adventures

Default Geforce FX5950 Ultra

I have a Geforce FX5950 Ultra card and I am trying to use Ubuntu. I am new to Linux generally.

Ubuntu boots ok when the driver is "vesa" in xorg.conf, but if this is changed to nvidia then ubuntu cannot boot. When in "vesa" the highest resolution I can achieve is 1024x768, and I would like to use 1280x1024 (which works fine in Windows).

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks.
ART_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 05:47 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Geforce FX5950 Ultra

How did you install the drivers, using Ubuntu packages or the NVIDIA .run installer (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490)? How exactly does Ubuntu fail to boot, are there any error messages? What happens if you boot into runlevel 3 and manually start X? Please also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-06, 05:55 AM   #3
ART_Adventures

Thanks for your reply.

I installed the latest version of Ubuntu and have not changed any packages. I then followed this

(http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest...RKED_PARTIALLY)

online tutorial written by an Ubuntu forum member to help people install nivida drivers. I followed method 1. But this caused an error whereby as the Ubuntu login screen appeared my monitor went black and the power light turned from green to orange.

The only time I can get Ubuntu to start currently is when Driver in xorg.conf is set to "vesa".

Thank you for the links you posted. I'm not exactly sure how I can tell whether any of those items are true, or installed. But, I haven't changed anything from the default Ubuntu desktop install (latest version).

Thanks.
Old 09-17-06, 06:21 AM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Which NVIDIA graphics driver release do you have installed? Does CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE return you to the console when the monitor has gone out of sync with the NVIDIA driver? If so, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file after returning to the console; else please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file while within X with the vesa X driver.
Old 09-17-06, 07:04 AM   #5
ART_Adventures

Thanks for the reply. If my driver is set to "nvidia" and then I boot Ubuntu normally, the login screen causes the monitor to go black and power light to turn orange. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Bckspace there, the monitor power light will for a brief second turn green again and then back to orange, and it will do this each time I press Ctrl+Alt+Bckspace.

I'm not sure exactly where I can find such a bug log file. But if you can tell me the commands to type at the terminal, then I will do so and post it back here. Also, a user on the ubuntu forum tried to help me with this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=258885), however, we were unable to resolve the issue.

However, I do know my xorg.conf (in vesa) looks like this for the driver section:

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"NVIDIA Corporation NV38 [GeForce FX 5950 Ultra]"
	Driver		"vesa"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
and when it causes an error, it is set to:

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"NVIDIA Corporation NV38 [GeForce FX 5950 Ultra]"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Thanks for helping me with this :-)
Old 09-17-06, 07:17 AM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

OK, the fact that the monitor gets a valid signal after zapping the X server with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE shows that the problem is a configuration problem; the monitor looses sync again after a little while because the display manager restarts the X server. Please use CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch to a console, log in as root, execute `nvidia-bug-report.sh` and attach the log file here (also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678).
Old 09-17-06, 07:38 AM   #7
ART_Adventures

Ok. Thanks for the mail. Being as I'm very new to linux (only a few days) and not especially confident in the terminal commands, I might be mistaken about this but...

I had trouble accessing the ctrl+alt+f1 prompt, so I was advised to boot into recover mode and execute commands from there. I read the link you gave me and it mentioned about starting x server before running the nvidia bug report program. Now, if my driver is set to "nvidia" and I type at the recovery prompt:

Code:
startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
This causes the error whereby the monitor power light turns orange.

Is this related? The problem here is that, I cannot type commands after running this one since everything goes out of synch.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-06, 07:50 AM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

After starting X with -logverbose 6 from the recovery mode, you can use CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to return to the prompt; once there, please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log file.

Old 09-17-06, 08:39 AM   #9
ART_Adventures

OK. I managed to generate this file.

I booted into recovery mode. I typed:

Code:
startx -- -verbose 6 -logverbose 6
This cause the graphics-monitor out of synch error. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Bckspace. This brought me to a command prompt.

I typed:

Code:
nvidia-bug-report.sh
This produced the report, as attached.

Hope I did that correctly, and hope this helps :-)

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (26.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-17-06, 01:19 PM   #10
ART_Adventures

I made a mistake (I think). I noticed that it mentioned in your link for Ubuntu that "nv" needed to be disable in the restricted modules so that DISABLED_MODULES="nv". Previously, my system was DISABLED_MODULES="", but now I have changed this to "nv". I have generated a new nvidia bug report which is different. Also, when starting xserver it no longer gives the error where the monitor power light turns orange. Now, it takes me to a xserver config diagnostic screen whcih asks me if I want to see an error report.

It now says "(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!". Please could you take a look at this, as attached.

Can anybody help me resolve this problem? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (70.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 09-17-06, 02:49 PM   #11
ART_Adventures

Can anybody advise me at all?

I don't really mind if 3D acceleration doesn't work. I would just like a higher res like 1280x1024 instead of being limited to 1024x768.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-06, 03:02 PM   #12
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

It looks like you need to install the correct nvidia-kernel package(s).