Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-03, 08:50 PM   #1
jmoy

Question suse ftp install on Shuttle sn41g2 -- which NIC driver?

Hi all. I'm trying to do the SUSE 8.1 FTP install onto my Shuttle XPC (SN41G2 with nforce2 chipset), and I was wondering if anyone knows which network driver to use. The manual for the Shuttle mainboard says that it's a Realtek 8201BL, but that's not an option in the SUSE setup, and is not included on the additional modules disk. I'm not sure what to do here, because without the network driver I can't even do the FTP install...

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

jmoy
jmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 08:03 PM   #2
Andy Kunzmann

Angry

Hi. I installed Suse 8.1 as well as Suse 8.2 on my Shuttle XPC (SN41G2). In neither of these versions I could get the Ethernet (nvnet) to work.
Downloading the binary rpms from www.nvidia.com and installing the package as described did not work. Loading down the rpm sources and recompile them didn't work neither.

I make the following observations:

Neither in the outputs of dmesg.txt nor of lsmod nvnet is mentioned. I put the entries into /etc/moduls.conf as described in the description.

modprobe nvnet gives the following output, although nvnet.o is in the directory mentioned in the errormessage:

linux:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/athlon/NVIDIA # modprobe nvnet
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB-athlon/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB-athlon/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB-athlon/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB-athlon/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-4GB-athlon/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o: insmod nvnet failed
linux:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/athlon/NVIDIA #

An other strange behaviour I don't understand. Installing the driver manually with rpm -i does show up in Yast2-Packet overview. But:

linux:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386 # rpm -e NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm
error: package NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm is not installed
linux:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386 # rpm -i NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm
linux:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386 # rpm -q -s NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm
package NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm is not installed
linux:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386 #

Any hints are wellcome. I have to bring the computer to work till next Tuesday (April 29., 2003) because I can bring back the SN41G2 till then, if it does not work.

Thank you in advance.

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: txt problems.txt (1.1 KB, 196 views)
Andy Kunzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 05:55 PM   #3
graneusa

Default Nvidia - Suse 8.2 No network

I want to know what the trick is to get the Nvidia eth0 to work. I have Suse 8.2 with A7n8x. Tried two MB and even installed a netgear NIC - always fails on boot. I have scoured the forums only to get redeye. Drivers installed with no problem. I set the card(s) for DHCP. If I install both one will do"backgrounding" and that is all I can get. I am not too geeky here but wish I was. If anyone can give me a suggestion I will be grateful.

Thanks
G - graneusa
graneusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-03, 11:15 PM   #4
Cigarman

Default ditto

Just installed 8.2 tonight and the nvnet module loads and DHCP tries to get something from the server but nothing happens and it then backgrounds/or gives itself 127.0.0.1. Sad. And since the network is crapped out, the nvidia graphics installer cant access nvidia's ftp site for the proper graphics modules. When it cant do that it tries to compile the module but then freaks because it says the sources are wrong. Yeah, right....wrong right off the suse ftp mirror. That sure makes the party crash.
Cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-03, 11:58 PM   #5
Cigarman

SUCCESS!!

In order to get my damn network to go, I had to tell grub:

acpi=off in the options window when starting up. after that the network got an address. Still, there's no joy for suse 8.2 since nvidia doesnt list a driver for it for the installer to download. Compiling fails still so :P on it all!
Cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-03, 04:07 AM   #6
leibold

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Kunzmann
# rpm -e NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm
error: package NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm is not installed
# rpm -i NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0256.i386.rpm
Only in order to install an rpm (rpm -i) do you need to specify the .rpm extension. In order to query package information (rpm -q) or uninstall/erase a package (rpm -e) you only specify the name.
Your sequence of rpm commands does show that you successfully installed the NVIDIA_nforce package, so you should now be able to configure that network card (either manually with ifconfig or through YaST2).
It worked for me in both SuSE 8.1 and 8.2 on an ASUS A7N8X deluxe.
In SuSE 8.2 the 3Com NIC works out of the box as long as ACPI is off.

Last edited by leibold; 05-11-03 at 04:10 AM.
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 03:27 PM   #7
mduffy

I had a bit of a frustrating time installing the nvnet drivers onto my new Shuttle (sn41g2) this weekend. I got it to work though after a bit of hair-pulling. SuSE 8.2 Personal edition.

Note that this is from memory, and I don't have access to my machine right now. Forgive my spelling or if something is slightly off.

The rpm from nVidia's site didn't work because it is compiled for 8.1, and also I have the -athlon version of the kernel installed. So I downloaded the source for the drivers. Problem was that the kernel source didn't install to my machine, and as far as I can tell, those sources aren't included in the personal version of 8.2. So I downloaded and installed the kernel source from SuSE's ftp site.

I tried to follow the instructions that came with nVidia's drivers, but ran into some problems. It looks like they try to instruct you on how to rebuild your entire kernel, but I think that is more for the 7.1 and 7.2 people who are upgrading. So I just tried running the makefile in the nForce (nvidia?) directory that the driver source rpm created. That resulted in a lot of error messages that gave further (incomplete) instruction. If you get this error, do what it says with some additional modifications.

* make a link to your kernel source directory as the error messages indicate

* You have to copy two files from your boot directory into the include directory of the kernel sources. The first one they tell you about, which is vmlinux.version.h. The second file you have to copy is something like vmlinux.modules.h ... I forget the exact name but it is another .h file.

* I had to change a line in one of the source files of the driver. It couldn't find modversions.h to #include, so I commented that line out (and the one above it I think which defined _set_ver() ), and then added #include <linux/makesetver.h> instead. I think that's the right path.. it's the same as the commented out line.

Then I was able to compile the nvnet driver without problem. I made the appropriate changes to modules.conf as well, by adding "alias eth0 nvnet", etc. Actually when I had tried installing the binary rpms it had made those changes for me, and so I left them there.

I did get some warnings about trying to compile the nvaudio driver, and it never did compile all the way. Something about patches being applied. I didn't really look into the problem, since I was just happy to have the ethernet working! Also sound had been working on my system even before I tried installing the nForce drivers, so I figure why mess with it if it isn't broken.

Anyways, hope this info helps others out there. And if you notice something I did horribly wrong, please let me know. (^_^)

Later,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net
mduffy is offline   Reply With Quote