Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-03, 11:29 AM   #13
bwkaz

OK, the problem is a blank screen then.

After you've modprobe'ed nvidia, and run startx (and you get your blank screen), then try ctrl-alt-backspace to see if you can kill X. If that doesn't help, maybe ctrl-alt-F2 will (swich to virtual console 2).

You need to get to a working shell, BEFORE you reboot. Because when you reboot, X starts up again (since you told Mandrake to do that... not always a good idea, like now), and your log from the blank screen run gets overwritten.

If none of that helps, you can edit /etc/inittab and change the id:5:initdefault: line to read id:3:initdefault: instead. Then reboot, and you'll be looking at a textmode login screen. Do the modprobe and startx, then when it fails, reboot but do NOT startx until you've copied the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file to somewhere else (to later attach here).

You can revert to a graphical login later, by changing the 3 back to a 5, but I'd be wary of that. If something else ever gets misconfigured with X, you'll have to do the same thing. Personally, I find it's not hard to startx on every login, but of course, you may not agree with me. Whatever.

And modprobe'ing nvidia then rebooting will accomplish exactly nothing. When you modprobe (or insmod, it's the same thing) a module, you're loading it from disk into memory. When you reboot, you're clearing all memory, so the module effectively gets unloaded.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-03, 12:44 PM   #14
tsubasa

Default ?

No I dont reboot after I tape modprobe nvidia lol, I tape startx after . And The blank screen arrive.
( I have installed the drivers in init 3 mode)

I restart in Failsafe for copy the log
and XFconf it is same file you have, the same error.
But i am disapointted you dont say to me to try some "command" for help me ...
I am waiting for your instruction, my linux partition is on suspend with this error. You have the Xfconf.log and I have a black screen for symptom. I really would like to try some command for resolve the problem.

Thanx a lot a lot a lot a lot...
I really sorry to boring you with that, but i really would like to see my nvidia working and after play Counter strike on my mandrake thanks thanksssss man

Last edited by tsubasa; 05-08-03 at 12:52 PM.
tsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-03, 01:05 PM   #15
bwkaz

The log file that I have is from a run where the kernel module wasn't loaded.

Load the kernel module, rerun startx, and post the new log.
Old 05-08-03, 01:54 PM   #16
tsubasa

Default re

Hello,
I have set my etc/inittab at 3.
I reboot my pc, and boot to linux in normal mode.
And I arrive at init 3 in konsole mode.
In Root I do Modprobe nividia, i have a message like that nvidia module loaded with warning.
i do Startx and 1 second after blank screen.

I try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, nothing ...
I try Ctrl+Alt+F2, nothing. Another Ctrl+alt+F3 , nothing too. And I finally try ctrl+alt+suppr, nothing too.
My pc is totally blocked at blank screen.
I am oblige to reboot, and I do.
My computer boot at init 3 and I copy the /var/log/XFree86.0.log to my home partition.

This is the files but... it is blank ...

:'( i don't understand
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (0, 99 views)
Old 05-08-03, 07:45 PM   #17
bwkaz

What motherboard chipset do you have? Is it a KT400 by any chance?

Take a look in /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge.
Old 05-08-03, 08:40 PM   #18
etr

Default Re: re

Quote:
Originally posted by tsubasa
I try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, nothing ...
I try Ctrl+Alt+F2, nothing. Another Ctrl+alt+F3 , nothing too. And I finally try ctrl+alt+suppr, nothing too.
My pc is totally blocked at blank screen.
I am oblige to reboot, and I do.
My computer boot at init 3 and I copy the /var/log/XFree86.0.log to my home partition.
Just a sick thought real quick...

Do you have another computer handy? If so, I would probably consider getting the telnet daemon up so you can try to log in and poke around before re-booting. If you're lucky, you might even be able to kill X (if it's still running) and regain some control.

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
You can revert to a graphical login later, by changing the 3 back to a 5, but I'd be wary of that. If something else ever gets misconfigured with X, you'll have to do the same thing. Personally, I find it's not hard to startx on every login, but of course, you may not agree with me. Whatever.
I'm in complete agreement here, but I'd like to note (for tsubasa's benefit) that you one can always add a line to .bashrc to run startx--so long as there is a back-up account you can fall back to when X isn't available.
etr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-03, 03:28 AM   #19
tsubasa

Default My hardware

Hello,

My motherboard Is an MSI ULTRA KT333 with an athlon XP2000+.

My Graphic Card is this one :
3D Prophet III Titanium 500 from http://www.hercules.com

Thanks a lot all to help me .
Old 05-09-03, 07:49 AM   #20
bwkaz

Try to poke around, like etr is saying, but if that doesn't work, then the linux-bugs@nvidia.com email address will probably want to know. Give them all your hardware (as in chipset, video card, video BIOS (which you can get at the early, early screen when you first turn on your computer -- when your video card does its power-on self test, before the rest of your computer does its POST), perhaps motherboard BIOS version (accessible from the screen where the rest of your computer is doing its POST), and stuff like that), plus what it's doing -- the blank screen on startx with the module loaded.

They probably don't need to know about the "could not initialize NVIDIA driver" issue, since that's a separate one.

Might also be good to tell them whether you see an nVidia logo or not when you startx -- it sounds like you don't.

Anyway, yeah, this is an "I'm out of ideas" post...

Old 05-09-03, 08:25 AM   #21
tsubasa

Default re

In all of my test, i have never seen a Nvidia logo.

Not lucky is my second name in linux hardware

But i dont understand, i have no tricks to try. Why ?
U say :
"What motherboard chipset do you have? Is it a KT400 by any chance?

Take a look in /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge."
I say i have a KT333 u dont think the origine of problem is the same on the 2 mainboard ?

Why u dont demand to me to try some command for KT400 like that :

"I've got a GeForce3 sitting in VIA KT400 chipset.
First I've tried the 2.4.21-rc1-ac4 kernel which supposedly has good kt400-agpgart (only 2x) support. Didn't work.
Then I've set all necessary options in the XF86Config to use NvAgp, set AGP to 4x (hey, if agp then let's do it right), installed the latest driver 43.63 (without the installer) - all options were right...but all I got was a lousy black screen with nothing else to do then reboot.
I've fought with this error for hours...to find a solution in a completely different corner. It has turned out that IRQ handling must be managed by the BIOS and not ACPI (now go figure why).
All you need to do is insert an append string like that into your lilo.conf:

append = " pci=noacpi pci=biosirq"
"
Or why u dont demand to me to replace my agp drivers ?
you sure my probleme dont come from that ?
How i can for install NVagp ?

Please do u have some ideas of commands or tricks sensible to get my system work ?

I have seen on this forum a lot of error related to KT400 mainboard, for all this people its impossible and insoluble like me ?
No i think some people have get her nvidia running well on KT400 and KT333 certainly, how this people do ? i want to know :'(

I dont understand why u say i must post my problem at nvidia support, i work hard to retrieve all this log, its hopeless to think andy is an official Support for us? if is true, andy have my log and my description probleme here, if is false i dont understand why andy have in her signature Nvidia Coporation.

Thanks for all

Sorry for my little brutality but iam choked.

Last edited by tsubasa; 05-09-03 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-11-03, 06:53 AM   #22
tsubasa

I have the /dev/nvidia0 device it is good ?
Old 05-13-03, 07:18 AM   #23
tsubasa

Default ?

Any no news on how to install Nvidia Graphics on Via KT333 or KT400 Mainboard ?

Thanks a lot !
Old 05-13-03, 10:17 AM   #24
Gyokuran

OK, I'll give some details on my successfull installation hoping that it will help. The following settings enable AGP 4x with the nvidia agp driver.

Hardware:
Gainward GeForce3 with VIA KT400

Linux kernel: 2.4.20, patched with newest acpi and bttv drivers. IMPORTANT: disable agpgart support in kernel (it only supports AGP x2 for KT400 and not good anyway)

NVIDIA driver version: 43.63

/etc/X11/XF86Config: (relevant parts)
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "v4l"
Load "glx"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Driver "nvidia"
BoardName "Gainward"
Option "dpms"
Screen 0
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "NvAgp" "1"
Option "PageFlip" "true"
Option "DigitalVibrance" "2"
Option "HWCursor" "true"
Option "SWCursor" "false"
EndSection

/etc/modules.conf:
alias char-major-195 nvidia
options nvidia NVreb_EnableVia4x=1
options nvidia NVreg_ReqAGPRate=0x4

/etc/lilo.conf
image = /boot/kernel2420
label = linux-noacpi
root = /dev/hda7
append = " pci=noacpi pci=biosirq"
(do not forget to run lilo after changing lilo.conf)

Good luck.
Gyokuran is offline   Reply With Quote