Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-03, 09:26 AM   #1
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP
Default NV3X subpixel precision in 3DMark03

I just installed the 44.03 aka Detonator FX drivers on my testing rig and fired up the Abit FX 5800 (which has a really silent fan compared to other FX solutions I've heard btw).

The old problems with the dull sky etc. are gone. Performance is super (4700 point, this is a non Ultra btw).
But, therre seems to be a problem with the subpixel precision. Crawling pixels here and there. Especially noticable in GT1 on the planes and mostly in the scene in Mother Nature where there's a stone table.

Just miscolored "dancing" pixels, often close to the edges of the polygons.
Sort of looks like when you've overclocked to much and start to get bad pixels, but of course it's not anywhere near as bad as that.

I tried capturing some screenshots of it but it didn't show what I saw in motion. I'll try some more, perhaps until someone who's using an FX with these drivers can look and see if they are experiencing the same thing?

Thanks.
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 12:32 PM   #2
StealthHawk

Can you try the WHQL 43.51 drivers and see if you have the same problem? Also it would be interesting to see how those drivers affect your score.
Old 05-14-03, 12:44 PM   #3
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Can you try the WHQL 43.51 drivers and see if you have the same problem? Also it would be interesting to see how those drivers affect your score.
Sure thing, bbl
Old 05-14-03, 05:12 PM   #4
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

If they don't show in screen captures then they are probably post processing glitches.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 05:17 PM   #5
John Reynolds

No, those dancing pixels are being caused by something else, something that will probably be revealed fairly soon.
John Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 05:22 PM   #6
SurfMonkey

It could also be alternate frame rendering going wrong. Would nvidia could corners as drastically as that?

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
Old 05-14-03, 05:33 PM   #7
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by John Reynolds
No, those dancing pixels are being caused by something else, something that will probably be revealed fairly soon.
Yeah but when?
I've postponed the review I'm working on until I find out more about this...
Old 05-14-03, 05:35 PM   #8
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Reynolds
*COUGH-COUGH*motionbasedantialiasing*COUGH-COUGH*
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-03, 05:50 PM   #9
SurfMonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
*COUGH-COUGH*motionbasedantialiasing*COUGH-COUGH*
motion based antialiasing can actually be quite cool, I don't think that would be a particulary bad thing. It would be pretty intensive though, you have to do both spatial and temporal antialiasing and then post-filter it.

What would be bad is if you were using lower precision (fixed point?) in the vertex shader in order to achieve the speed increase

Anon
Old 05-14-03, 06:04 PM   #10
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
motion based antialiasing can actually be quite cool, I don't think that would be a particulary bad thing. It would be pretty intensive though, you have to do both spatial and temporal antialiasing and then post-filter it.

What would be bad is if you were using lower precision (fixed point?) in the vertex shader in order to achieve the speed increase
There ain't no easy way to test what precision they're using in the vertex shaders to find out either, I'll wager.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 11:26 PM   #11
StealthHawk

Could this be the answer?
Old 05-15-03, 12:20 AM   #12
MrNasty
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Could this be the answer?
Just reading the title of this thread it was a nobrainer for me.