Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-21-03, 11:17 AM   #1
digitalwanderer

Thumbs up I got a couple of new cards Monday....

An engineering sample 9700 Pro & a retail boxed 9000 Pro from a friend at ATi, free with no strings or conditions attached.

Kind of a funny story actually....

Me friend there has been gently teasing me about how I love ATi's new stuff but had all nVidia in me sig, and I truthfully kept telling him it was all I could afford right now and I would be buying a 9500 Pro as soon as I could find a used one for under $150us. We'd bantered that one around a few times before.

Last week I teased him about it, and he asked me what it would take me to get me to change me sig....and I told him quite honestly all he'd have to do would be to send me a card. He told me he was looking at two on his desk, and which would I prefer between the two? I told him whichever he could spare.

He said what the heck and sent me both.

They came Monday, and I had a little trouble getting the 9700 up and running for a bit (he had warned me it was a little tempermental, but great once you get it...I finally got it. ) but it's working spiffy now. I'm getting ready to shower the lawn trimmings off me (I HATE mowing! ) and then power down Blue here and toss the 9000 Pro in her and give it a whirl.

I've been mentioning it in threads all over here, but someone pointed out to me on another board that it was probably worthy of a thread all it's own.

So the day before nVidia blindsided me and forced me to resign from EliteBastards, ATi delivered a 9700 pro & 9000 pro to me door with the only instructions with them being "ENJOY THEM!!!!" (<---And that is a DIRECT QUOTE! )

Can ya see where I'm seeing a HUGE different in corporate personalities here? Truly?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-03, 11:34 AM   #2
rokzy

lol that's great

now there's just the GF2 and voodoo to get rid of, I wonder if you'll get a couple of 9800pro 256MB
rokzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-03, 11:51 AM   #3
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by rokzy
lol that's great

now there's just the GF2 and voodoo to get rid of, I wonder if you'll get a couple of 9800pro 256MB
I've entered every 9800 Pro 256Mb contest I could find, I'm keeping me fingers crossed!

(I REALLY need to upgrade me mobo/CPU/memory a bit already as it stands...I don't think a 9800 Pro would help me performance a whole lot right now. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-21-03, 12:40 PM   #4
rokzy

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I've entered every 9800 Pro 256Mb contest I could find, I'm keeping me fingers crossed!

(I REALLY need to upgrade me mobo/CPU/memory a bit already as it stands...I don't think a 9800 Pro would help me performance a whole lot right now. )
lol, shame you can't put a 9800pro 256MB in Babs and tell the OS to use the graphics chip and memory instead of the system's !!
rokzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-03, 12:41 PM   #5
digitalwanderer

Default Babs

Babs is about to get a SERIOUS make-over this summer, I've got too many good cards lying around not to have an AGP port in that thing!
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-21-03, 01:48 PM   #6
FiggyG

Yes, you have to get new mobo, processor, and ram... with all that money you save from not having to get new cards i also see why you were um... mad the other day. Sorry to hear that Kind of odd those things happened a day apart... I'll see ya around on the other forum

ARGH!! Riva 128!! My first 3d card... now my rank Talk about terrible driver support... I had to change drivers for different games I'd play. BSOD if I didn't.

Last edited by FiggyG; 05-21-03 at 01:56 PM.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-03, 01:54 PM   #7
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Yeah, my friend just built a Intel 2.8ghz with a monitor for 1k, id say build something like that.
Old 05-21-03, 01:55 PM   #8
digitalwanderer

Someone's offering me an nForce2 & a 1.2Ghz duron for me GF4....
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 05-21-03, 01:57 PM   #9
FiggyG

That actually sounds like a great deal.. Ask him what I can get for my GF4 j/k
Old 05-21-03, 02:27 PM   #10
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Someone's offering me an nForce2 & a 1.2Ghz duron for me GF4....
dosent sound bad, maybe you can ebay or try to swap the duron for a 2000+ xp
Old 05-21-03, 03:29 PM   #11
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Well you most definetely got hooked up there Digi! I noticed the change in your sig and was wondering why you hadn't mentioned anything about the cards, especially considering your outspoken support of ATI. Your last line was a little fanATIcal, considering that it was your friend who sent you the cards. It's not like either Ati or Nvidia is in the habit of giving away cards to people who support them but can't afford them.

What's the deal w/ the 9000Pro. I don't know much about it other than it was supposed to be a rebadged 8500. Is there anything more to it?
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-03, 01:13 PM   #12
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by schuey74
What's the deal w/ the 9000Pro. I don't know much about it other than it was supposed to be a rebadged 8500. Is there anything more to it?
Actually, I think it's more like a slightly crippled & rebadged 8500...but I never kept the 8500 & clones history straight after me initial dislike of my 8500.

But I like this one just spiffy so far, my TV picture looks a hell of a lot better both on my tuner card and the TV-out. (ATi tv-out is still leagues ahead of nVidia's solution...really.) I just wanted it for the 2D & DVD, and they're both better for me.

I'll look into it once I get a chance to finish replaying every single game in me game library, this 9700 Pro just totally changes 'em all for the better and it's tripping me out!!!!
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]