Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-26-03, 02:23 AM   #1
kareemy

Default No Sync with DVI and Fullscreen

Hello,

Something odd I noticed with the 1.0.4363 drivers was that when I try to run something in fullscreen and that application or movie will not run in 1280x1024 then my monitor turns blank and says No Sync. I have to blindly exit the application or ctrl+alt+f1 to console to get sync back. 1280x1024 is my ViewSonic VX900 (Digital DVI LCD Flatpanel) native resolution.

This happens with programs like tuxracer, lbreakout2, and movies that I try to play in fullscreen mode with mplayer. This has never ever happened before with previous nvidia drivers. Now all of a sudden it is happening.

I am not sure exactly what is happening. I noticed it with tuxracer. When i set the resolution to 640x480 and fullscreen, and start up tuxracer I get a No Sync from my monitor. When I change the resolution to 1280x1024, it works perfectly. However, I also use wineX which employs fullscreen mode. I have several games in winex that do not run in 1280x1024 (warcraft 2, half-life) but they load up fine without a No Sync problem.

Here are some specs and I am attaching my XF86Config file.

Video Card: Gainward nvidia Geforce4 ti4600
Driver Version: 1.0.4363
Distribution: Linux from Scratch
Video BIOS: 04.25.00.28.00
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4B Ghz
Motherboard Model: Asus P4S533

Any Ideas on whats wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Kareem
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (11.9 KB, 203 views)
kareemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-03, 02:30 AM   #2
kareemy

I am attaching an XFree86 log file now with the -logverbose 5 setting.

I started X, ran tuxracer fullscreen with 1280x1024 and it worked. I quit tuxracer and then ran it at 640x480 fullscreen. That gave me just a blank screen. I quit out of that and ran lbreakout2 at fullscreen which gave me a blank screen followed by my monitor saying No Sync. I quit out of that and then exited X. So that is what this log file details.

Any Ideas?

Kareem
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (38.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-17-03, 12:31 AM   #3
kareemy

Still no responses.

I am wondering if any one at all is getting this problem? I haven't been able to figure it out. What could cause the lcd to register No Sync? Do I need to enable more resolutions and color depths in my XF86Config?

Anyone have any ideas or is there anyone with a similiar problem?

- Kareem
Old 07-17-03, 04:07 AM   #4
Andy Mecham
l33t master

No Sync means that X is sending down a signal that your monitor can't handle. It could be that X has picked a mode that is slightly above your monitor's capabilities. You might try reducing your horizsync values from 30-82 to 30-75 to see if that helps.

Also, you shouldn't use the ConnectedMonitor option.

--andy
Old 07-17-03, 11:10 AM   #5
kareemy

I set the HorizSync to 30-75 and removed the ConnectedMonitor option. However, I still get the same no sync problem

any other ideas?

Thanks,
Kareem
Old 07-17-03, 03:10 PM   #6
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Try with a vrefresh of 60? Does your monitor tell you what sort of signal is coming down when it loses sync?

--andy
Old 07-17-03, 03:59 PM   #7
kareemy

vrefresh at 60 does not change anything.

I am not sure what you mean about my monitor telling me what sort of signal is coming down? Do you mean analog/digital? The monitor doesn't say anything to start, then when i start up tuxracer or something else fullscreen, the screen turns black for a view seconds. The green light of the monitor is still on. Then the monitor displays No Sync on its OSD, and the green light turns to an amber color. At that point, I cannot access the On screen display. I have to escape or quit out of the fullscreen program blindly, and the monitor comes back on and displays Digital on its OSD as it returns to my X desktop. It does this exact behavior whether the horizrate is 30-75 or the vertrefresh is 60 or not.
Old 07-31-03, 12:05 PM   #8
kareemy

This bug still exists in the same state as I described earlier with the new 1.0-4496 drivers.

Has nvidia been able to reproduce this at all or am I unlucky enough to be the only one?

Old 08-01-03, 12:09 PM   #9
mIc

Send a message via ICQ to mIc

You are not the only one who's got this issue. I talked to some other users and they seemed to have the same / similar problem. As me for example. Everytime I start an application (wether using opengl or not is irrelevant), the application goes fullscreen and my refresh rate drops down to 60Hz (should be 100Hz at 640x480). Anyhow, changing the resolution by hand (ctrl+alt+[+|-]) does not affect the refresh rate, only
applications switching directly to another mode.

I've tested the last two drivers from nvidia (4363 4496) _AND_ the nv driver that comes with X. The result: all the behave the same.

So, what version of X are you using ? I'm using 4.3.0 and since using 4.3.0 I have this problem.
mIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 12:44 PM   #10
kareemy

I am using 4.3.0 also. I never had this no sync problem before 4.3.0. But I did not try any other driver. I will try the nv driver that comes with X.

Your problem seems slightly different than mine. Whenever I start an application up in fullscreen mode, the refresh rate goes down to 0 and the monitor displays No Sync. The screen goes black. This does not happen if the application goes fullscreen at 1280x1024 which is my monitors native resolution. So when you run a fullscreen app, does the app actually run fine, just the refresh rate drops or does the screen go blank?
Also, what kind of monitor do you have?
Old 08-01-03, 01:00 PM   #11
mIc

Send a message via ICQ to mIc

I've got an Iiyama Vision Master 451, but however, I think this 60Hz thing is a safe mode of the monitor that it doesn't get damaged. So an app switching to full screen has 3 results:
1. The monitor goes on 60Hz
2. The monitor feeps and then directly goes to 60Hz
3. The app has set fullscreen mode to 1280x1024 and everything is fine

Anyhow, got this results with those 2 drivers:
nv and
nvidia,
but not with the standard vesa driver.
mIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 01:26 PM   #12
kareemy

I am unable to test this with the nv driver. With that driver, I cant get x to startup properly. I tried with the vesa driver and it does not have this problem.

What do you think is the cause of this bug? Is it an issue with XFree86 4.3.0 or something to do with the nvidia drivers?