Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-03, 05:43 PM   #25
Miester_V
Apprentice's Master

Send a message via AIM to Miester_V

If lying and decieving gets nVidia more money that telling the truth, then they will continue to do so. I really think they would rather take the money from their unassuming consumers than to get respect from the industry. Let's see if the majority of consumers catches on with the industry. But then again, I'm being a little cynical here.
PSU: Mortec 300w
Memory: Crucial 2100 512MB DDR
VGA: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Retail
Hard Drive: Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm
DVD ROM: Pioneer 16X
CD-RW: Plextor 16/10/40
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy
Speakers: Boston Acoustics 7800 4.1

------------------------------------------------
It is my DUTY to not purchase any Microsoft products.
Miester_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 05:46 PM   #26
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by NickSpolec
I think nvidia spread this to GameStop in hopes of fooling people and tricking them into waiting until Feb. Because maybe by Feb, 2004 they will have a card that actually runs the game the way it's supposed to (and decent at that).
That's what Im thinking too.

Delay it so we can "fix" it type of thing
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 06:02 PM   #27
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

I feel nVidia knows the closer they can push everything to the NV40 release, the more cards they can sell. They know everyone is going to forget all about the NV3x when it is released. DirectX 9 games running slow on the NV3x series may actually be a blessing for them as everyone will want to upgrade to the NV40. People with Radeons may be less likely to upgrade their cards as games will still be playable for them. This means a lot more $$$ for nVidia. Anyone remember the 5800?
Old 09-14-03, 06:09 PM   #28
jjjayb

I've seen too many people over the last few months switch to ATI and say Nvidia will have to win their trust again before they go back. Some of them who were die hard Nvidia fans not too long ago. I can think of 2 in the last week or so who I would never have thought would get rid of their Nvidia cards. I guess it's the straw that breaks the camels back. As a company you don't want to piss off your most loyal customers and that is what they've been doing. I still think it would have been better for them to eat crow than to alienate their long time loyal customers like they have done.
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 06:20 PM   #29
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by jjjayb
I've seen too many people over the last few months switch to ATI and say Nvidia will have to win their trust again before they go back. Some of them who were die hard Nvidia fans not too long ago. I can think of 2 in the last week or so who I would never have thought would get rid of their Nvidia cards. I guess it's the straw that breaks the camels back. As a company you don't want to piss off your most loyal customers and that is what they've been doing. I still think it would have been better for them to eat crow than to alienate their long time loyal customers like they have done.
Are those people you are talking about just average Joe customers or are they people that follow what is going on with nVidia like the people on this forum? If they are just average Joe customers then nVidia is indeed in trouble. If not, and they are people that are following what is going on, I would say nVidia could really care less if they loose them.
Old 09-14-03, 06:30 PM   #30
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

Averge Joe knows what going on but not quite, i've seen people over at the Homeworld 2 fourms on about how the game runs better with the cheating drivers, it doesn't realy as the cheats where in benchmark programs. But as you can see the average person already knows about this.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-03, 06:34 PM   #31
The Baron

You all forget that consumers are fickle.

If the Series 5 or DeltaChrome is the best thing ever, people will buy it even though they're PowerVR or S3 chips. They simply do not care about the company so long as the product is there. Now, fanboys do not count as normal consumers. But, look at how many people flocked to ATI after the 8500--they delivered big time with the 9700, people bought them. If NV delivers similarly with the NV40, people will buy it too.
Old 09-14-03, 06:57 PM   #32
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

But there is one thing that Nvidia lost during NV3x fiasco - they are not the "only" good brand anymore, they are not Intel of the gfx world anymore, (OK they were that for a fairly short time 1-2 years only, but they missed on the chance to be that forever).

I would think that from now on there will be 2 major players and that is loads of $$$ lost for Nvidia in this market in the future... unless ATI screws up in a really big way, I am pretty sure the market will be a 2 horse race for a long time to come...

So NV3X fiasco is a good thing for us consumers in that respect, because if NV3x was what it was meant to be gfx market would be in similar situation as CPU market... where luckily AMD still manages to deliver and hopefully AMD64 will deliver for them in a big way... but they seem like they are just one product flop away of turning over financialy (for many years allready).

In gfx market there will be a much greater chance of 2 strong competitors surviving in the long run which is always a good thing for us consumers
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-03, 12:35 PM   #33
jjjayb

Quote:
Are those people you are talking about just average Joe customers or are they people that follow what is going on with nVidia like the people on this forum? If they are just average Joe customers then nVidia is indeed in trouble. If not, and they are people that are following what is going on, I would say nVidia could really care less if they loose them.
Do you think Nvidia always had all these "average joe customers"? How do you think the "average joe customer" decides to get an Nvidia or ATI card? I'd say most unknowing, average joe customers buy based on what they hear from friends, the internet, magazines and the guy who sells him the card at the local best buy.

With everything that's been going on the friends, internet, magazines and the guy who works at the local best buy are more apt to talk them out of the Nvidia card where as they would have recommended it 6 months ago.

And let's not forget the oem's. The Dell's of the world aren't going to keep building systems with nvidia cards if Crap like this keeps happening. They won't put up with it.
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-03, 12:45 PM   #34
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jjjayb
Do you think Nvidia always had all these "average joe customers"? How do you think the "average joe customer" decides to get an Nvidia or ATI card? I'd say most unknowing, average joe customers buy based on what they hear from friends, the internet, magazines and the guy who sells him the card at the local best buy.

With everything that's been going on the friends, internet, magazines and the guy who works at the local best buy are more apt to talk them out of the Nvidia card where as they would have recommended it 6 months ago.

And let's not forget the oem's. The Dell's of the world aren't going to keep building systems with nvidia cards if Crap like this keeps happening. They won't put up with it.
Word, and nicely said. I agree that there is a big trickle-down affect from the people who read the boards, they generally tend to be the type of person who is all their buddy's "geek friend" who they turn to for advice/help when they got a PC problem, and they tend to trust 'em.

This is a nightmare for nVidia beyond it's worst possible imagining, make no mistake about it and don't doubt it for a second. Their company has never before been in such dire straits as they are right now!

It's going to be a very interesting week in the graphics card world, VERY interesting!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-03, 12:52 PM   #35
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Word
lol

rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-03, 12:52 PM   #36
Paul

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
This is a nightmare for nVidia beyond it's worst possible imagining, make no mistake about it and don't doubt it for a second. Their company has never before been in such dire straits as they are right now!
I'd have to agree with that. The entire NV3x debacle has been a nightmare from start to finish, and nV really are in trouble. The truth has already been filtering out to the mainstream PC magazines, and it should really be pushed home with something as big as Half-Life 2 at the centre of it.

This whole thing just makes NV40 vs R420 all the more important. If nVidia can step it up a gear, they can salvage something from this, and stop ATi rolling on. If ATi pull yet another R300-esque card out, and nV has no answer, then i'd question whether nV will have the majority market share in any segment.

I'm not saying nVidia will go bust should the NV40 fall flat on it's face, but it would certainly mean a major rethink at nV, in just about everyway. An ATI like restructure would definitely be on the cards, i'd imagine.

1 slip up is unfortunate. 2 slip ups is careless. 3 slip ups is potentially fatal.