Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-03, 10:28 PM   #1
kummell

Default RedHat 9 + Shuttle SN41G2 - Network Config

new to Linux, I'm trying to build up a machine I can learn on. It's been a frustrating time so far!

I'm installing on a Shuttle XPC SN41G2 which runs an nForce2 chipset. I've installed RH9 and it's up and running with the exception of the network card.

I've downloaded the RPM from nvidia's site for Red Hat 9. (2.4.20_6)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261
burned it onto a CD.

Then I opened a terminal window and did this:

$ su
password: xxxxxx
$ cd /mnt/cdrom/
$rpm -i NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm

everything seemed to work fine. now I've tried all sorts of things since. I've read I need to do a "insmod nvnet" or a "modprobe nvnet" but they don't find anything. Do I need to do that from a specific directory?

I've rebooted, no love.

I went into the "Network Configuration" control panel to the hardware tab, double clicked on the nvnet eth0 entry... the IRQ is "unknown" - I've tried changing it to 11 (what the BIOS says the network adapter is as it boots) and 22 (what WinXP assigns the nVidia network adapter). When I hit the OK button, I get this:

redhat-config-network:

The ethernet card cannot be initialized.
Please verify your settings and try again.

Command failed /sbin/modprobe nvnet

Output:
modprobe: Can't locate module nvnet

any thoughts/help anyone can offer? Do I need to shut off plug-and-play?
kummell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-03, 07:57 PM   #2
ttrainor

Default Re: RedHat 9 + Shuttle SN41G2 - Network Config

[quote]Originally posted by kummell
new to Linux, I'm trying to build up a machine I can learn on. It's been a frustrating time so far!

Stick with it, it will be a rewarding experience!

I'm installing on a Shuttle XPC SN41G2 which runs an nForce2 chipset. I've installed RH9 and it's up and running with the exception of the network card.

I've downloaded the RPM from nvidia's site for Red Hat 9. (2.4.20_6)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261
burned it onto a CD.

I've got your same hardware. It's a nice little system, isn't it? I think your problem might be the driver rpm you are using. Unless you have already upgraded your kernel to the athlon-optimized kernel provided by redhat, you have the wrong one.
>>$rpm -i NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm
I did the same thing, though. There is an rpm for the stock redhat 9.0 kernel on the nvidia site, if you check the output of uname -r you should be able to figure out which one you need for your kernel. What I really would suggest is downloading the tar.gz source file, so you can rebuild it for a new kernel if you upgrade, which is my next suggestion. I am running kernel 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90, optimized for athlon and packaged as an rpm by stanford university, with kernel preemption and low-latency patches applied. Get it at http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planet...re/system.html if you want, just make sure you grab the kernel sources as well. I needed that version to support my digital camera, but the patches that make the system more responsive were a good reason, too.

Everything should work right away after you install the correct nvidia driver rpm for your kernel and reboot. If you want help upgrading your kernel or getting anything else working just ask, I have just about everything working on my box, and it wasn't very hard.
ttrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-03, 10:33 PM   #3
kummell

ttrainor - thanks.

I've done the uname -r and I got "2.4.20-8" as a response, so I see where I have the wrong RPM.

Now you mentioned an upgraded, athlon optimized kernel. Would that be something I would achieve by applying all the RPMs on that Stanford website you send? There are quite a few RPMs available there.

It seems the alternative is to download the tar.gz file from the nVidia site. I'm sure I can download it, I'm certain I can burn it onto a CD... but what then? Is it as easy as a double click? Should I do an "rpm -d NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm" ? (I think it's -d to delete an RPM...?)

Would it just be easier to upgrade to 2.4.20_9 since there's an nVidia provided driver for that? (I'm assuming that'd just be a download from the RH site?)

Thanks again for your help, I'm sure this is simple stuff for quite a few people out there, but I sure am struggling!
Old 10-30-03, 07:01 AM   #4
ttrainor

To upgrade the kernel , you need only two files :
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planet...h90.athlon.rpm
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planet....rh90.i386.rpm

Now you need to get the driver source packages for graphics and nforce platform from nvidia:
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/n....0-0261.tar.gz
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-4496-pkg2.run

I also downloaded and installed all red hat supplied updates by running up2date.

Open a shell, and cd to the directory where you downloaded all this stuff, then install the two kernel rpms from Stanford with:
rpm -Uvh kernel*rpm

Now unpack the "tarball" -- that tar.gz file, which is the unix equivalent of zip :
tar -zxvf NVIDIA*tar.gz

Now you need to disable graphics before you reboot. Login as root, and edit /etc/inittab to remove the comment (#) before the line
#id:3:initdefault:
Then put the comment in front of the line:
id:5:initdefault:

Reboot the system, and login as root. Go to the directory containing the unpacked tarfile and the NVIDIA*.run file. First build the nforce drivers:
cd nforce
./configure
make
make install
cd ..

The nvnet and nvaudio drivers should now be rebuilt for your new kernel. There should already be entries for these modules in /etc/modules.conf from your previous install. If not, edit this file according to the instructions on the nvidia site. Now bring up the network interface:
/sbin/modprobe nvnet
/sbin/ifup eth0

Install the graphics driver package:
sh ./NVIDIA*.run

Just accept all the defaults, and let it build a new module. Nvidia is pretty good about linux support, and everything should just work.
Turn your graphics back on by undoing those changes in /etc/inittab . Unless you know vi, you might not be able to edit the file in console mode, so just run init 5 to start up the graphical interface

Your system should be functional. Sound will work on your next reboot, or you can fool around with the proper modprobe commands now. I would recommend a change to the ALSA sound drivers at http://www.alsa-project.org/ , but that may be a subject for another thread.

Good luck!

*EDIT*
I forgot to answer a couple of your questions:
rpm -e removes rpms, but I didn't bother with that, I just installed from sources. I don't really like working with rpm's
Also, yes, it probably would probably be easier to just upgrade your kernel to match the nforce driver version you installed, but that's putting the cart before the horse, and that Stanford rpm has those nifty patches already applied.

Last edited by ttrainor; 10-30-03 at 05:26 PM.
ttrainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-03, 07:46 PM   #5
jeromy

This method worked for me on rh 9 and the asus a7n8x mobo, thank you. saved me tons of headaches

Jeromy
jeromy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 12:19 AM   #6
kummell

Default PERFECT!!!

ttrainor - I'm posting this from my Linux machine... which can now connect to the internet! WOW!

Thanks SO much.