Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-03, 03:14 AM   #1
Line01

Default OK need a new sound card

That say's it all anybody got some good info on any. Not SB live though nothing but problems. Not sure about the new SB stuff?
Line01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-03, 05:11 AM   #2
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I think its some mobo chipsets that causes problems with sblive cards, personaly i never experienced any problems with sblive. anyway...

I recommend Audigy2, They cost more then your average sound card but you also get a whole lot more then your average soundcard. And now they even features eax4.

I think its a great home all around card. Exelent for games (best possible support for effects and surround) and enugh features for music apps (im not talking about players).
How ever if you aim to do profesional music stuff then there are better cards suited for those purposes.

Im sure all the other audigy2 users here will say the same.

Only thing that could be better is creatives driver management. Too messy to download drivers manually as you need all updates ...
They do however have something that is simalar to windows update so if your on a permanent connection at home then theres no problem.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-03, 05:55 AM   #3
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Default Re: OK need a new sound card

Quote:
Originally posted by Line01
That say's it all anybody got some good info on any. Not SB live though nothing but problems. Not sure about the new SB stuff?
TurtleBeach SantaCruz or Hercules Fortismo III are great alternatives to CreativeLabs. If you wanna go Creative again though, then it's Audigy2 or nothing at all
Old 11-21-03, 04:33 PM   #4
Line01

Thanks guys was looking over ar the egg say it for $68 oem. Now thats a buy. Think I will get it for Xmas.
Line01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-03, 07:51 PM   #5
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

I know in another thread you mention upgrading to an NForce2 motherboard. If you get an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board, it comes with Nvidia SoundStorm audio, which is significantly better than your SBlive, and it would save you money too. It's not as good as TurtleBeach, Hercules, or Audigy2... but it's about onpar with Audigy1
Old 11-21-03, 07:58 PM   #6
sxotty

It does depend on what kind of output you can use as well... the analog out on Nforce trully is less than stellar when compared to add in cards, but it is ok. The digital is really great I think, but once again there is a few flaws, but all cards have a few issues.

I had a Game TheaterXP (hercules), and a Santa Cruz both offered clean sound, of couse the hercules had more options so I liked it better, but to be honest my sound seems at least as good with just an Nforce (using digital out and a dolby decoder). I sold my game theater and used the money to pay for part of my processor.

edit:

One thing guys why is the SC (santa cruz) so popular now? I am really confused simply b/c it seems like such an old card, I mean it was a good deal like 3 years ago I thought, and yes it is cheaper now...but I don't know it seems more popular now than it did way back when I got them strange.

(3 years seems really long in computer time, just goes to show the lack of innovation in sound cards I guess)
Old 11-22-03, 01:22 AM   #7
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

During the old "686B Southbridge Bug" with the VIA KT133-KT266 chipsets, the TB Santa Cruz became the soundcard of choice because it just freaking worked and hardly exhibited the problems the SB Live and Audigy 1 did at the time - no crackles, no pops, no infamous "squeals of death", no broken ACPI headers, etc.
Old 11-22-03, 03:42 AM   #8
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

I would recommend the Audigy2 ZS

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.